Kimber Carry Weapons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Bobby

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at 3" and 4" Kimber 45s for a carry weapon. Anybody have a preference? Is Kimber the way to go on this as I want to target shoot some also? I like 1911s and shot a match 45 in the Navy but that was in the 60's. Are Kimbers worth the money?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
depends on who you ask. some say yes, others say no. some people go gaga over the taurus 1911's. i love my kimber stainless custom II. but i love my springfield 1911's a little bit more.

do you feel comfortable carrying cocked and locked? some may not and it's certainly something to consider. if the answer is no, perhaps look to another platform than the 1911.

3" 1911's seem to be hit or miss with ftf/fte being the most common complaints. 4" seems to be pretty reliable across the board from what i have read/seen.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really want an officers model but when it comes to trusting one with my life, I always go to the 4"

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3160014.jpg

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a kimber ultra cdp II with a 3 inch barrel and a STI Ranger that is an officers model with a 3.5 barrel. Both of them are reliable with certain magazines. After I tried some different magazines they run really good.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
iv got a ultra carry II i think they are worth the money, i like my colt defender better but if it feels good to ya, it for sure worth it...:cannon:

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have both sizes, a slight preference for the 4". It just balances a bit better. Conceals well, but obviously, not as well as the Ultra. 4" models are generally more reliable. Both are very accurate, but the longer slide on the 4" is a bit easier to aim.

Kimber factory mags are not the greatest (in my personal experience). The KimPro tac mags are pretty good, but both mine run best with Wilson 47d mags.

Whether Kimbers are worth the money is up to you. You get a lot of features that used to be "extra", and when comparing them to other (similar) manufacturers, I think they fare well.