Kimber Ultra Carry II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fondled one of these today. I carry a glock 26 right now, but I kind of want to move to a 1911 syle .45.

For those that carry them, pros/cons? Holster recommendations? Ball park price on a brand new one?

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are tons of holsters made for the 1911. However, not all of them will work with the Ultra as it's so small. I have a Kimber Pro Elite (commander size with full size frame, and 4" barrel instead of 5"). I have a leather belt slide holster for it and a FOBUS (which I don't recommend unless you want the finish marred up) paddle holster.

The 1911 style pistols are very easy to conceal because of their slim profile. With the Ultra being so small, it's even easier to conceal. However, it's not something I'd want to throw in a pocket like some of the other small guns. For a 1911 to be an effective self-defense tool, it needs to be carried in condition 1, aka/cocked and locked (round in the chamber, hammer back, safety on). Stuffing one in your pocket can definately cause the thumb safety to moved to the fire position. Now there is still the grip safety that has to be depressed before the gun can fire, but I'm not brave enough to test it while in a pocket. Safeties are mechanical devices and have been known to fail occasionally.

To get used to condition 1 carry, I carried it around the house for a few days, empty, just to get comfortable with it. After that, I don't even think about it any more.

I can't remember if the Ultra Carry II is a custom shop gun, or not. If it is, they usually retail for around $1,100.00. Standard Kimbers can be had for quite a bit less.

Good luck. If you get it, I know you'll love it.

Jon1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My dad has one, very nice. His is very reliable, shoots everything with all kinds of different mags. They're lighter, and don't have the balance that a full size 1911 has, but they do have most everything else you'd expect from a 1911.

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had an Ultra Carry II for 2-3 years, carrying as a BUG when on duty, and sometimes when off duty. (I carry a commander-size Pro Carry TLE II most of time when off-duty).

Some folks say these micro 1911s can have reliability issues. I can't say with any certainty one way or the other, as I've only shot about 200 rds. (ball & Hornady TAP) through my Ultra Carry II.

Galco makes holsters for the Ultra Carry II. I've got a Galco Concealable Belt Holster and like it.

I also have a Comp-Tac FBI cant paddle holster for the Ultra Carry II, which I like a lot 'cause it's secure, plus easy/quick on & off.

One thing I noticed with the Ultra Carry II is that it's so short that the majority of the weight is in the grip (when fully loaded). This makes the pistol somewhat top heavy when holstered. (There's just not much to stick in the holster!)

I also have a Galco Ankle Glove (ankle holster) for the Ultra Carry II. Doesn't work well.
The pistol too large & heavy in the ankle holster. The gun's weight pulls the holster down until it's sitting right on top of my shoe. As much as I'd like to use the ankle holster, it just doesn't work with the Ultra Carry II.

Danny's right about carry in Condition 1. It's the only way to go with a single action 1911.
If you're a long-time Glock owner, you'll find the 1911 a whole different animal. There's a lot more to know about owning a 1911 than a Glock. More upkeep, etc. But a well-tuned 1911 in the hands of a skilled operator is a thing of beauty.

If I could only own one 1911, I'd go with the commander size. IMO it's the best combination of concealability, reliability and accuracy.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ultra II series are great CCW. I prefer the Covert, mainly because of the duel night/laser sights, but I think the color combo is cool too. The blackhawk leather holster works well with these.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got one. Shoots really well, a lot more accurate than I expected. It conceals very well in a Crossbreed. It's very light (a bit heavier than a GLOCK/XD/M&P), but as has been said, the 1911 is so thin, I find them more comfy to carry IWB.

Be warned...1911s have a tendency to multiply...

Latest posts

Top Bottom