Kind of a Long Shot, But Computer Audio Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure anyone here will be able to answer this (this site is for gun geeks, not computer geeks) but here goes. I'm running my HDMI output on my RX 7900XTX video card to my Sony STR-DH800 receiver and from there to a 40 inch plasma. Stereo is fine, but I cannot get the speaker setup routine in Windows 11, to display 5.1 and 7.1 surround as options to configure. It looks like the image below. Under my current configuration, the surrounds are playing through the front speakers when I use demo videos. The connection and output to the speakers is fine as the test tones generated by the receiver, play normally. Kind of a frustrating issue. The crazy part is my monitor (32inch LG with no speakers) has both the 5.1 and 7.1 option on top of stereo, for speaker configuration.
Screenshot 2023-07-24 195727.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never could get it working in a similar situation for me, although i'm running win10server datacenter. So I just my video card for video and my sound card/onboard audio for audio. I am willing to bet the big problem is that you are running windows 11 and it does not have to driver compatibility yet to run surround sound out of your RX 7900XTX.

Have you tried barking at it or sniffing its butt?
IMG_1118.jpeg
IMG_1121.jpeg

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I discovered that if I turn off the TV and only run the amp, the options for surround sound come back. Sort of defeats the purpose of trying to watch stuff on the TV, but it does narrow the search a bit. I'm wondering if it is a HDCP handshake issue. Both the receiver and the TV are a dozen or more years old and need replacing, I just don't want to do that right now.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a similar issue with soundbars I bought for my TV. It uses HDMI-ARC as the connection interface.

The issue is that OTA antenna stations deliver sound in Dolby Digital, but not every soundbar has a chip to support that specific codec.

So even though the TV itself can pick up OTA picture and play the audio (though the internal speakers), it does not pass through the decoded audio signal to any peripheral devices.

Most soundbars seem to be sold under the assumption that the TV can convert audio to a basic PCM signal, which my TV does not do.

Your setup is different obviously, but it does sound like a handshake issue between devices.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure anyone here will be able to answer this (this site is for gun geeks, not computer geeks) but here goes. I'm running my HDMI output on my RX 7900XTX video card to my Sony STR-DH800 receiver and from there to a 40 inch plasma. Stereo is fine, but I cannot get the speaker setup routine in Windows 11, to display 5.1 and 7.1 surround as options to configure. It looks like the image below. Under my current configuration, the surrounds are playing through the front speakers when I use demo videos. The connection and output to the speakers is fine as the test tones generated by the receiver, play normally. Kind of a frustrating issue. The crazy part is my monitor (32inch LG with no speakers) has both the 5.1 and 7.1 option on top of stereo, for speaker configuration. View attachment 395809
I believe you'll find that the configuration dialog is for the sound hardware in your motherboard. Not all that familiar with W11, since we only have one machine that uses it, and her setup is fairly simple. You should be able to type "control panel" in the search bar, and that will let you look at what hardware it sees. Running Windows Update may update your drivers, too. Was just able to go back to SWMBO's computer, and verify that you can get to Control Panel as I said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom