Knife legality question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldannyboy37

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, I've been reading through Oklahoma law for some time now and I've read that daggers, dirks and bowie knives are illegal, and all that good stuff about switchblades.
My question is about the length of a blade. I haven't found any written law about the length of a blade being illegal.
I get different stories from different police officers that I've asked. Most say if it's longer than the width of my hand then it's illegal(Which is asinine). The others tell me that it's 4 inches. Some have said 3 1/2.
I've had friends that were officers tell me they could legally confiscate my 3-4 inch blade work knives.
Is there a law in OK. that states anything about the legal length of a knife? I haven't found one yet and I can't get a straight answer from local law enforcement.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, I've been reading through Oklahoma law for some time now and I've read that daggers, dirks and bowie knives are illegal, and all that good stuff about switchblades.
My question is about the length of a blade. I haven't found any written law about the length of a blade being illegal.
I get different stories from different police officers that I've asked. Most say if it's longer than the width of my hand then it's illegal(Which is asinine). The others tell me that it's 4 inches. Some have said 3 1/2.
I've had friends that were officers tell me they could legally confiscate my 3-4 inch blade work knives.
Is there a law in OK. that states anything about the legal length of a knife? I haven't found one yet and I can't get a straight answer from local law enforcement.

It depends on where in the state you are at any given moment.

From Handgunlaw.us:

Oklahoma
21-1272
Y
None
dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, are illegal. this section shall not prohibit: 1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

Del City, OK
14-23.
no knives in Parks (other than pen knives),

Muskogee, OK
13-421 & 13-422
Y
6"
"Dangerous or deadly weapon" includes any knife with a blade which exceeds six (6) inches

Nichols Hills, OK
15-148.
carry upon his person/vehicle any knife offensive or defensive weapon except permitted by state law.

Norman, OK
15-504.
Y
4"
Any knife having a blade length exceeding four (4) inches

Oklahoma City, OK
30-311. & 30-302.
offer for sale or exhibit any pocket knife having a blade longer than four inches.

Tulsa, OK
1514 & 103.
The proper use of knives hunting/fishing/recreational purposes;
capable of inflicting injury in Parks/Malls/Plazas
:yikes2:
:angry3:

For more detailed information go the the Handgunlaw site and to every municipality in the state. :violin:

ridetime

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the bottom line is, if you are obeying the law in all other regards, you don't have anything to worry about.

In other words, if your contact with law enforcement gets to the point of them evaluating your knife for legality, you are probably going to jail anyway.

I have carried a Benchmade 710 with a 4 inch blade for 15 years without incident. I also make a habit of obeying the law.

Last edited:

Oldannyboy37

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and the helpful information.
In all honesty I've never even had a speeding ticket, I'm not really concerned so much about having my knife legalities come up because I've done something so much as I am some one the more ignorant local LE seeing a pocket clip and harassing me for it.
Some of the local officers have hassled me in the past for no real reason, and I'd hate to have my Spyderco or one of my other good work knives legally confiscated because they felt like it.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma has a pre-emption law when it comes to weapons.

I believe the information on local ordinances is dated.

My agency (2nd largest in the state) was advised that our municipal ordinances, that formerly covered weapons and may have been more restrictive, no longer apply and that we will use the state ordinances. This was many years ago so I would not give the municipal ordinances great concern.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom