Know what its worth!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Shooters,
I just witnessed a firearms trade occur. One very nice 270 rifle exchanged for a wasr 10 ak, and a 22 winchester smooth bore model 67 with a 27in barrel. The 270 was worth about $750-$900. The wasr 10, I would say about $600 on a good day, (i bought mine for $300, but that was a while back) The 22 was supposed to make up the difference between the wasr 10 and 270. Well the freakin winchester model 67 smoothbore 27in barrel 22 is not worth just $200.00 ITS WORTH +$1200.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If your gonna get ride of your old 22 for something new, PLEASE KNOW WHAT ITS WORTH! Talk about regreting selling a firearm, I dont think i could ever forgive myself if i did someting like that. O yeah the winchester had the original butt plate on it.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points - for buyers and sellers both.

Where's a good place to research the right price?
The only places I know of is researching retailers (new), Armslist (used), and doing a general Google search for 'XXX gun for sale'.
Is there any online KBB of guns?

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points - for buyers and sellers both.

The only places I know of is researching retailers (new), Armslist (used), and doing a general Google search for 'XXX gun for sale'.

A quick Google search can make a big deal. I did not believe my friend after the trade, when he told me how much it was worth. Heck when I first saw the 22 I told myself I wouldn't give $50 bucks for it. It looked like a really long cricket rifle. I went home and Googled Winchester model 67 and the first option was "gunsamerica" they are selling for $1450.00 on there.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, I'd say that's a good start. And not just Armslist, but some of the other auction sites. http://www.gunbroker.com/, http://www.collectorsfirearms.com depending on what it is, etc.

From what I've seen, some people will try to over-sell theirs, of course, so you might see some numbers that are a little high. And some people like to take the old guns, strip off the original blue {shudder}, do a fake color-case hardening job on it, and engrave it all up with new furniture, tossing out the original {shudder}. So those prices will be high for all the work put in them. (But in my opinion, an original piece with some patina is worth more than something that's been dressed up, stripping away the history.)

I didn't realize they let you look up online, but yes, there is: http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/.
Now, the problem I've had is it lists prices based on grade, so if you're more optimistic or pessimistic about what is "good" quality, you'll get a different answer. But it'll help you get a decent idea of a price range. Barnes and Noble typically has some copies in stock and not in shrink wrap. Have your SN with you to check that range, too.

Also, some manufactures employ an historian, so you might look into that. Again, they would only be able to give you a range, but if you don't know the year, they'd be able to help with that. Some gunsmiths will give a verbal appraisal for free, but sometimes they just check the Blue Book! :-)

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet!!! A friend of Mine had listed a Crossbow on Craigslist, guess thats not a Firearm?? Anyway a guy traded him a Really Nice 7mm Mag Rifle and A sweet old Savage .22 that's now mine, AND a Yugo SKS. Think he made out as well.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at Wannamachers and was talking to a dealer about one of his guns when an old man came up and asked the dealer if he wanted to buy his .22

Dealer asked to look at it and next thing you know the old man pulls out an OLD Belgium made Browning .22 pump in its original box, it was unfired, bought new by the old Man. When the dealer asked how much he wanted the owner said"$200?" - Needless to say, the dealer didn't haggle and it was bought immediately. I just sat there cringing, I really wanted to intervene and tell the owner that it was worth much more but it wasn't my place.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at Wannamachers and was talking to a dealer about one of his guns when an old man came up and asked the dealer if he wanted to buy his .22

Dealer asked to look at it and next thing you know the old man pulls out an OLD Belgium made Browning .22 pump in its original box, it was unfired, bought new by the old Man. When the dealer asked how much he wanted the owner said"$200?" - Needless to say, the dealer didn't haggle and it was bought immediately. I just sat there cringing, I really wanted to intervene and tell the owner that it was worth much more but it wasn't my place.

Of course one must decide for himself what is right but in this case I couldn't live with myself if I'd stood by and let that guy take a bath due to his lack of knowledge. The fact that it was an old man makes that even worse. Add to it that the dealer didn't blink an eye and took advantage of the old man makes it egregious in my opinion.

The dealer has a right to make a profit on a deal - that's capitalism. But to take advantage like he did - uh uhh. An ethical dealer would have asked something as simple as, "You sure that's all you want for this fine weapon?". An affirmative answer from the old man would have been IMO a go ahead. An answer like, "why do you ask" would have been a red flag.

Then again ethics are a slippery slope and are different for every one to some degree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom