Kudos to Kel-Tec

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Give me this......
www.themarksman.net_item_photos_large_Mossberg_590A1_SPX_618.jpg

and about $1000.00 in shells any day of the week over that over priced Kel-Tec. A quality Mossberg or Remington will still be throwing lead down range 50 years down the road and thousands upon thousands of shells. That Kel-Tec? I don't think so.

The tried and true pump manufacturers aren't scared of the KSG. Is it intriguing firearm, sure it is. That is the case with most gimmicks. A 590A1 is a proven tool. The KSG at this time is nothing more than a novelty item.

We'll see what happens is 10-20 years. It's defiantly not a game changer like the Gen1 Glock was.

^ +1. Well said. Neat and innovative (although Kel-Tec wasn't the first with the design IIRC).

However, I'll always take the reliability of my 870. No doubt one is "neat" whil the other is what you would trust your life too IMO.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
^ +1. Well said. Neat and innovative (although Kel-Tec wasn't the first with the design IIRC).

However, I'll always take the reliability of my 870. No doubt one is "neat" whil the other is what you would trust your life too IMO.

^^This, I've got an Remmy 870P I bought for $190. It was a DOC trade in and had a torn butt pad and a few dings from being thrown in the trunks of DOC vehicles. I added a Limbsaver pad, side saddle, and Trijicon rifle night sights. I only have about $300 in it and it performs flawlessly.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the Turkish UTS-15 will soon be made in the USA and be cheaper.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/07/06/utas-uts-15-shotgun-video/

But the UTS-15 is also 10 whole inches longer, which in close quarters makes a lot of difference. And it also hurts it in the "cool" factor, which is also going to be a big chunk of the Kel-Tec buyers.

The tried and true pump manufacturers aren't scared of the KSG. Is it intriguing firearm, sure it is. That is the case with most gimmicks. A 590A1 is a proven tool. The KSG at this time is nothing more than a novelty item.

We'll see what happens is 10-20 years. It's defiantly not a game changer like the Gen1 Glock was.

I am not as confident as you that this is just a 'novelty' or 'gimmick'. Kel-Tec is certainly not glock, but this is truly one of the most revolutionary design ideas for a pump action shotgun in years. When they are more available, I plan to pick one up too, just am not going to pay over MSRP for it.

Sure Remington and Mossburg are not scared. They are established and have production capability ready to go. If they starting losing too much market share they could have a copy-cat on the market in 6 months that they could sell as a 'better' version of the design. Right now, they are still cashing in on a design they worked out years ago and have had to commit zero R&D costs to in years. I mean tacking on different, grips, barrels, accessories etc., is not too difficult.

But could it be a game changer? It sure could. If a big PD started picking them up, others will follow. Think about the advantages, have 2 types of rounds available already loaded and ready to go.

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks to me like the KSG has quite a bit left to work out. Would feel better about KelTec if they didn't rush products to market and let consumers work out the bugs. Does Microsoft own KelTec? Between the trigger reset problems, shells ejecting into your arm and reliability issues, I've decided to pass on the KSG until they are finished developing them. Here is an article I saw a while back that made me a little less anxious to be a beta tester.

Pump Gun Problem: Kel Tec KSG Rail Ruptures
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/02/daniel-zimmerman/pump-gun-problem-kel-tec-ksg-rail-ruptures/

Last edited:

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks to me like the KSG has quite a bit left to work out. Would feel better about KelTec if they didn't rush products to market and let consumers work out the bugs. Does Microsoft own KelTec? Between the trigger reset problems, shells ejecting into your arm and reliability issues, I've decided to pass on the KSG until they are finished developing them. Here is an article I saw a while back that made me a little less anxious to be a beta tester.

Pump Gun Problem: Kel Tec KSG Rail Ruptures
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/02/daniel-zimmerman/pump-gun-problem-kel-tec-ksg-rail-ruptures/

You forgot to mention the flat out uncomfortable cramped feeling that you get when pumping the action. It just feels horrible.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Say what you will. When they get back down to MSRP or better, I will have one.

Holds more shells.

Short, short, and did I mention how short it is?

MSRP is $880.