Land O' Lakes drops 'racist' Native American image from packaging after nearly 100 years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.dailywire.com/news/native-american-artist-my-father-drew-the-land-o-lakes-maiden-and-she-isnt-a-stereotype?utm_content=non_insiders&utm_campaign=dw_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=housefile&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_eXW6BUNlzLT4F0RZOo2S4SyoWeEJXGUaxBehD7wt4eXMG_8Qjp66-mfTwka3QZmVfbif_2yLm__oLY_CcxBYVVfPaeg&_hsmi=87275640
Native American Artist: My Father Drew The Land O Lakes Maiden And She Isn’t A Stereotype
By Emily Zanotti DailyWire.com
APRIL 30TH, 2020

The son of the artist who drew Land O Lakes’ maiden says that’s simply not true. His father, a member of the Red Lake Ojibwe Nation, designed “Mia” to reflect his Native American heritage and her attire has its roots in Ojibwe history.

One thing that does seem to bother Robert: Land O Lakes’ decision to wipe Native American history out of the company’s story. Referencing a social media meme that took off in the days following Land O Lakes’ decision, “They Got Rid of The Indian and Kept the Land,” he cautions the company to avoid whitewashing Minnesota history and giving credit only to modern farmers.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:rollingla:wink2:New PC branding/advertising?:wink2::rollingla

upload_2020-5-2_17-21-12.jpeg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.dailywire.com/news/native-american-artist-my-father-drew-the-land-o-lakes-maiden-and-she-isnt-a-stereotype?utm_content=non_insiders&utm_campaign=dw_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=housefile&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_eXW6BUNlzLT4F0RZOo2S4SyoWeEJXGUaxBehD7wt4eXMG_8Qjp66-mfTwka3QZmVfbif_2yLm__oLY_CcxBYVVfPaeg&_hsmi=87275640
Native American Artist: My Father Drew The Land O Lakes Maiden And She Isn’t A Stereotype
By Emily Zanotti DailyWire.com
APRIL 30TH, 2020

The son of the artist who drew Land O Lakes’ maiden says that’s simply not true. His father, a member of the Red Lake Ojibwe Nation, designed “Mia” to reflect his Native American heritage and her attire has its roots in Ojibwe history.

One thing that does seem to bother Robert: Land O Lakes’ decision to wipe Native American history out of the company’s story. Referencing a social media meme that took off in the days following Land O Lakes’ decision, “They Got Rid of The Indian and Kept the Land,” he cautions the company to avoid whitewashing Minnesota history and giving credit only to modern farmers.

From what I've seen, it's rarely Native Americans that are offended by the use of their culture in sports team names, logos, and other things such as this.

It's mostly the do-gooders that don't want minorities to appear downtrodden by company/team (or whatever) names or logos... whether those minorities feel that way or not. ;)

As usual, just my two cents. :drunk2:

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've seen, it's rarely Native Americans that are offended by the use of their culture in sports team names, logos, and other things such as this.

It's mostly the do-gooders that don't want minorities to appear downtrodden by company/team (or whatever) names or logos... whether those minorities feel that way or not. ;)

^^^This! I am Native American and I agree. I'm tired of people being offended on someone else's behalf. In my experience, everything offends someone. Get over it and move on, there are more important issues a LOT more worthy of your time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes, the Seminole tribe in Florida is proud that their name is used for the college football team. Actually went to court if I remember right when do-gooders sought to change it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom