Land the Shuttle in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa County is already the highest property tax county in the state!! How much more in taxes is this going to cost us to "land the shuttle in Tulsa?!?!?!" This is a ridiculous waste of money!! Our roads suck, our state is broke, the state pension fund will be bankrupt in 2020.....why should I subsidize a museum to house a space shuttle??

I voted NO!! Send it to Chicago..they deserve it!

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are going to rely on private companies Such as ELon Musk the founder of Paypal's space endeavor's and also Richard Branson. In fact Elon Musk just had a capsule come back after 24hour orbit the other week.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted for dayton ohio but my family has an airplane there with our name on it already so im biased on it, i was also born there.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa County is already the highest property tax county in the state!! How much more in taxes is this going to cost us to "land the shuttle in Tulsa?!?!?!" This is a ridiculous waste of money!! Our roads suck, our state is broke, the state pension fund will be bankrupt in 2020.....why should I subsidize a museum to house a space shuttle??

I voted NO!! Send it to Chicago..they deserve it!

Do you have information on taxpayers funding this?
I thought that the TASM is fully funded by admissions and private foundation money.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TASM is funded by private citizens and corporations and what they take in from visitors.

I haven't really kept up with it lately but last I heard putting the shuttle at their current location at the airport will effectively shut down at least one runway unless they dig a massive hole in the ground.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't find it now, but at one point the TASM had a subwebsite devoted to the Land the Shuttle Effort. It stated that they have plans to build a whole new section to house the Shuttle (one of NASA's requirements is that they be kept indoors). I'm certain that they will not be tying up a whole runway just to let the Shuttle sit at the end of it.

At one point I had a .pdf document outlining their plans and fundraising goals for the Shuttle exhibit. But I can't seem to find it now. The TASM is a 501(c)(3) organization, and will likely fund the vast majority, if not all of the funding requirements for the Shuttle through private charitable contributions. I have not heard one peep about any sort of public money, or tax breaks, or incentives, or bond issues from either the City of Tulsa or Tulsa County in order to help get the Shuttle.

Here's a couple of promo videos on the Land the Shuttle effort

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without going too far into it, I was referring to the approach path of the runway and not the runway itself.

If you're shooting an IFR approach and the ceiling is 200 feet having a ~190 foot shuttle + the top of whatever building housing it right next to the end of the runway tends to be a problem. One of the crosswind runways was shut down because of cell phone towers a couple years ago.

Space shuttle, awesome yeah. You want it in Tulsa at that location? Grab a shovel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom