Lapua 30cal 170gr FMJBT Lock-base Load Data

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The tightest groups I have achieved so far is just under half inch group- 5 shots. 100 yards
Any smaller than .5" 5shot groups and they should be stacking. A .308 is Three Tenths of an inch. Two .308s side by side is over .5". The smallest possible group (hole) you could ever get is three tenths of an inch (.3"). You are probably good. I'd be happy as clams with that load, especially if it's going fast and is consistent. If they are stacking, you have to find the center of each.

At 800yds, a .5" group will be approximately 4". Just the dispersion will keep you from getting much smaller than that. If you are able to repeatedly get bullets stacking on one hole, you best group would be somewhere around 3" at 800 yds. Maybe 2", but I've not ever seen a repeatable group like that happen. That's in the vertical (always measure vertical). Horizontal always has environmental or shooter effects.

Recommend you stay away from ShootnCs for groups. Recommend paper with 1" grids and a good gray/black aimpoint. You'll get cleaner measurements from paper, and should be able to measure center of the holes.

Last edited:

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any smaller than .5" 5shot groups and they should be stacking. A .308 is Three Tenths of an inch. Two .308s side by side is over .5". The smallest possible group (hole) you could ever get is three tenths of an inch (.3"). You are probably good. I'd be happy as clams with that load, especially if it's going fast and is consistent. If they are stacking, you have to find the center of the each.

At 800yds, a .5" group will be approximately 4". Just the dispersion will keep you from getting much smaller than that. If you are able to repeatedly get bullets stacking on one hole, you best group would be somewhere around 3" at 800 yds. Maybe 2", but I've not ever seen a repeatable group like that happen. That's in the vertical (always measure vertical). Horizontal always has environmental or shooter effects.

Recommend you stay away from ShootnCs for groups. Recommend paper with 1" grids and a good gray/black aimpoint. You'll get cleaner measurements from paper, and should be able to measure center of the holes.
Got it! Sounds about right,
The 168gr mk-hpbt measured around .433
The 170gr lock base was just under the .433
They are super close.
So I could not tighten them up any. Is it possible to tighten the groups up say at 800yards and sacrifice my groups at 300yards? Not sure if this makes sense? I’m not wanting to just asking a question. It’s been floating around in my head for awhile.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
You could tighten them up but I doubt you'll see it at 100, maybe 800. Measure edges, and you definitely won't; measure centers and you will.
Measure the centers on your steel at 800 each time you shoot a group. Measure in the vertical, not horizontal no matter what the temptation is.
What I should have also said in that post, is if you are measuring groups for data, measure centers. Edge to edge is usually for comps and touching the next higher scoring ring and such.

(800) Do it on a clean target with fresh paint. Shoot five and go down and measure. No more than five and no less. Three is out right...just like the holy hand grenade. Repeat as necessary.

If you're shooting sub half MOA, you, your gun, and your ammo as a system, is better than most. Companies sell their $3000 guns as Sub Half MOA to people who can't shoot 3MOA...you should happy with whatever it is you're doing..

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could tighten them up but I doubt you'll see it at 100, maybe 800. Measure edges, and you definitely won't; measure centers and you will.
Measure the centers on your steel at 800 each time you shoot a group. Measure in the vertical, not horizontal no matter what the temptation is.
What I should have also said in that post, is if you are measuring groups for data, measure centers. Edge to edge is usually for comps and touching the next higher scoring ring and such.

Do it on a clean target with fresh paint. Shoot five and go down and measure. No more than five and no less. Three is out right...just like the holy hand grenade. Repeat as necessary.

If you're shooting sub half MOA, you, your gun, and your ammo as a system, is better than most. Companies sell their $3000 guns as Sub Half MOA to people who can't shoot 3MOA...you should happy with whatever it is you're doing..
Makes sense. Thank you for the info. You and the other that have interacted with me is why I joined.

Latest posts

Top Bottom