Large Rifle Primers in 45acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right-On-Target

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be an outdated discussion for some of you, but…..

I started loading 45acp rounds in 1984 using CCI Large Rifle primers. No one ever told me I couldn’t. Having rifles I always had the primers for them. Of late I have seen posts, discussions, forums, etc., that mention the difference in dimensions of the Large Rifle primer versus the Large Pistol primer, but I will tell you that a 45acp round with a CCI Large Rifle will chamber just fine in a 1911.

One thing I have noticed however is that I experience 1, maybe 2 stove pipe jams in every 50 round lot of my loads, where factory rounds work flawlessly. I have heard a few hundred reasons for stove pipe jams in a 1911, and I always thought that I must be disfiguring a case or two when loading or not crimping all the rounds properly.

Have any of you seen manufacturer data or other research that provides details on how the Large Rifle primer interacts with the powder differently than the Large Pistol primer? Just curious

BTW I use Large Pistol primers now.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the change in primers fixed the issues then you have answered the question.
But if you still have the stovepipe jams then it is a loading issue. As you have stated factory ammo
does not do this..

Too much crimp on 45acp will bulge the case...I do not crimp my 45acp.
I also flare just a tiny bit...About enough to start .010-.015" of the bullet base into the brass.

Lee makes a die that irons out the round without crimping it..then you know all will load fine

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you buy the Lee four die deluxe pistol dies you get the seperate crimp die that includes a carbide sizer so the it will take out any bulges in the loaded round. It isn't as tight as the sizing die but if it goes in it will fit most chambers. I have been buying those for my Dillon 550. It doesn't add anything to the process.

You can buy that die seperately. I did that for my .45acp toolhead. No feeding problems yet.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be very careful with large rifle primers in pistol cases.. The large rifle primer is taller than the pistol primer and will most often protrude from the case slightly. You can have a slam fire very easily with a high primer and firing out of battery is really bad...

Right-On-Target

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am not certain as to what we’ve answered here… 1911 works fine on reloads with Large Pistol primers, stove pipe jams with Large Rifle Primers. The question was “why”.

I have read the technical information on the manufacturers’ websites and reviewed the MSDS as well. The flammability, reactivity, etc. are the same. Yes the dimensions are different, but if you use your caliper it is ever so slight.

Perhaps I should forgo my aspirations to be a physicist and stick to the rules on reloading.

Latest posts

Top Bottom