Can I use…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Can I use CCI 350 Large Magnum Pistol Primers for .45acp….

I don’t have any normal large pistol primers but came across these from a member and didn’t think of any difference… can I use these for .45acp or should I try to trade them?

I assume I’ll need them for .44mag and .41mag. But I had a good friend give me 300 of the same primer for those loads.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, back off the load a bit (10%) and test.

this.

had to do the same thing for my 380 loads using CCI small rifle primers (make sure your gun will set them off before you load a bunch). I reduced the load by 12% just in case and worked up from there till I found a load that cycled and was accurate.

as always, exercise caution.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes, unless you are using a striker fire pistol with reduced power firing pin spring. I had issues running mags in my G40 when it had a lighter firing pin spring. Went back to a stock spring an no issues at all. I use mags and standards in all of my pistol loads without ill effect other than that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Primers are universal. They will all set off a charge.
One has to keep in mind what their intended uses were for. Some powders like H-110 are hard to ignite so magnum primers are recommended, but not required. A large pistol primer will work, but the powder burn may not be able to achieve the velocities one is looking for.
During primer shortages, a lot of folks used small rifle primers in their pistol loads, by reducing the powder load.
Others loading rifle rounds like .223 using SPP had to up their powder load to keep up with the published velocities.
Reloading is a crazy science. The manufacturers put out recommendations they know are safe.
Reloaders test the recommendations and sometimes have to adapt.
During my years of competition pistol shooting, I was amazed at what powders some were using. Some were not in the books at all, but it seemed everyone was using it. Winchester WSF shotgun powder became my primary powder in .40 cal vs Unique.
The recoil impulse seemed to be lower vs Unique or some other powders. Had no way to measure it, but everyone was using it.
Then some Guru said Winchester WST was way better, so we all changed to that.
That's the way competitions of any sort works I guess.
My point is that there are a lot of powders, primers, bullet combinations out there that can be used safely.
Disclamer: Always use manufacturers recommendations.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Primers are universal. They will all set off a charge.
One has to keep in mind what their intended uses were for. Some powders like H-110 are hard to ignite so magnum primers are recommended, but not required. A large pistol primer will work, but the powder burn may not be able to achieve the velocities one is looking for.
During primer shortages, a lot of folks used small rifle primers in their pistol loads, by reducing the powder load.
Others loading rifle rounds like .223 using SPP had to up their powder load to keep up with the published velocities.
Reloading is a crazy science. The manufacturers put out recommendations they know are safe.
Reloaders test the recommendations and sometimes have to adapt.
During my years of competition pistol shooting, I was amazed at what powders some were using. Some were not in the books at all, but it seemed everyone was using it. Winchester WSF shotgun powder became my primary powder in .40 cal vs Unique.
The recoil impulse seemed to be lower vs Unique or some other powders. Had no way to measure it, but everyone was using it.
Then some Guru said Winchester WST was way better, so we all changed to that.
That's the way competitions of any sort works I guess.
My point is that there are a lot of powders, primers, bullet combinations out there that can be used safely.
Disclamer: Always use manufacturers recommendations.
I use shotgun powder exclusively for 9mm. I’ve been barked at a few times on the internet for it. I tell them it’s okay to cross over shotgun to pistol generally, but not the other way around. But - ya Gotta be smart and safe at any rate.

The powder I started with was the only powder I could find after the Obama inauguration - Alliant Blue Dot. Haven’t used it since and moved onto Red Dot and Clay Dot. Accurate and low recoiling. That’s all I need!

Latest posts

Top Bottom