Lawton FGST Lunch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leo's is small and fills up quick.
If one or two of you fat guys can get there early and reserve the big table, we should be comfortable.
Remember.....they take cash and check only.
The boss says she'll give it a shot, as long as it's okay that she's neither fat nor a guy. :)

BTW, for those of you following my LR308 woes - remember that on the second trip back to DPMS they said they couldn't duplicate the problems I was having? Well it arrived back from them yesterday so I cleaned it up last night and took it to the range today where I set up a video camera with a good view of the ejection port so I could show them the problems in motion and possibly give them a better idea of what was happening.

Started the tape and over the next hour or so ran 100 rounds through it (20 Federal .308 150gr PP, 20 PPU .308 145gr FMJ, 20 Lake City M80 13, 20 CBC M80 13, 20 CBC M80 12 in five different factory magazines) with no failures of any type and half dollar size 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Not an exhaustive test but it was failing three, four, or more times per magazine before I sent it back to them this last time - and I had another project to work on at the range today (in a later post).

Anyway, I don't know if they maybe actually did repair something or if it was just something tight that needed a lot of breakin that it got from all their test firing (maybe a tight chamber?). The only thing different here was that instead of lubing it with oil when I cleaned it last night I used a liberal amount of white lithium grease as well as glomming a good sized glob of high temp red grease on the buffer spring that I'd previously just lightly oiled.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was the other project for the range today that also arrived yesterday - brand new (well, brand new to me - she was "born" in October 1942) CMP Special Garand in .308:

After initial cleaning and a couple of wipes with 50/50 BLO/Mineral Spirits mix, here's what she looks like:
web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_308Garand1.png

web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_308Garand2.png

The CMP cartouche:
web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_308Garand3.png

And the .308 spacer:
web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_308Garand4.png

Fired 80 rounds through today with one FTC (the bullet lodged on the lip of the chamber when feeding). Got approximately zeroed at 50 yards with about silver dollar size groups, but the shoulder was beginning to holler "enough" so I called it a day.

Incrediblerod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The boss says she'll give it a shot, as long as it's okay that she's neither fat nor a guy. :)

BTW, for those of you following my LR308 woes - remember that on the second trip back to DPMS they said they couldn't duplicate the problems I was having? Well it arrived back from them yesterday so I cleaned it up last night and took it to the range today where I set up a video camera with a good view of the ejection port so I could show them the problems in motion and possibly give them a better idea of what was happening.

Started the tape and over the next hour or so ran 100 rounds through it (20 Federal .308 150gr PP, 20 PPU .308 145gr FMJ, 20 Lake City M80 13, 20 CBC M80 13, 20 CBC M80 12 in five different factory magazines) with no failures of any type and half dollar size 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Not an exhaustive test but it was failing three, four, or more times per magazine before I sent it back to them this last time - and I had another project to work on at the range today (in a later post).

Anyway, I don't know if they maybe actually did repair something or if it was just something tight that needed a lot of breakin that it got from all their test firing (maybe a tight chamber?). The only thing different here was that instead of lubing it with oil when I cleaned it last night I used a liberal amount of white lithium grease as well as glomming a good sized glob of high temp red grease on the buffer spring that I'd previously just lightly oiled.

She's part of the skinny chick faction of the FGST.
Cool beans on the rifles.
Between you an Mightymouse with your 308s, the steel targets will be Swiss cheese in no time.:fullauto:

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Between you an Mightymouse with your 308s, the steel targets will be Swiss cheese in no time.
Don't need to worry about that too much with me ... too expensive to shoot too much! Guess I really do need to get back into reloading again, though - maybe a good project for when it gets too cold to go to the range.

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't need to worry about that too much with me ... too expensive to shoot too much! Guess I really do need to get back into reloading again, though - maybe a good project for when it gets too cold to go to the range.

Ya gotta reload for 308 brother... Ain't nothing like 43 grains of varget behind a sierra 175 match bullet...

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was the other project for the range today that also arrived yesterday - brand new (well, brand new to me - she was "born" in October 1942) CMP Special Garand in .308:

After initial cleaning and a couple of wipes with 50/50 BLO/Mineral Spirits mix, here's what she looks like:
web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_308Garand1.png

web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_308Garand2.png

The CMP cartouche:
web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_308Garand3.png

And the .308 spacer:
web.newsguy.com_sanford_images_308Garand4.png

Fired 80 rounds through today with one FTC (the bullet lodged on the lip of the chamber when feeding). Got approximately zeroed at 50 yards with about silver dollar size groups, but the shoulder was beginning to holler "enough" so I called it a day.

Beautiful gun John. I really like it.

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry I missed lunch today, was feeling bad last night and used Nyquil to help my sore throat. Needless to say I didn't wake up until 1215 hrs today. I did make up for it by rebuilding my M16A2 bolt, thank you Steve for the gas rings.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of you mentioned you were thinking about going to the show in Chickasha - went up this morning, and was glad I did. Have been looking for a USGI M1 Carbine and there were three - one of which came home with me.

Most prices were in the reasonable range and there were deals to be had - lots more guns than I've seen recently, both new and used, long guns and handguns, a good selection of magazines and accessories, some reloading supplies, knives and other stuff. All in all one of the better shows I've been to in a while - $9 admission, $1 off for OSA members.

Latest posts

Top Bottom