LCR vs J frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say LCR trigger is to me much better than the S&W. The grip is bigger, takes away some recoil.

Troof right here. ^^^

I like my 442 and all but I just shot a LCR the other day and as much as I hate to say it, the LCR is easier to shoot and I liked it really well. They are fugly as heck and Smith's are just sexy, but the sexiness is not what I'm needing in a pocket carry snubbie.

The LCR is very slightly longer and taller but is actually lighter than my 442 and as mentioned above the LCR's trigger is noticeably better even after I worked my 442 over. I have it pretty smooth, but I didn't jack with the springs. I may try a reduced rebound spring to see what it does for it but I don't know how much I can drop it with that strong factory mainspring. I very probably am going to switch to the LCR. And if you get a LCR get the big dot tritium sight, it's worth every extra penny a couple times over. The LCR's grip makes it more controllable with hot loads. The 442 just isn't fun to shoot a couple hundred rounds with. I didn't shoot the LCR that much but I don't see it being a problem.

Pick which one you like and shoot the hell out of it, you can't go wrong with either.

M

Mustang Armory, LLC

Having had both, I'd go Smith over the LCR. I HATED the trigger on the LCR, but I liked the Smith's. To each their own though!

Really?! Wow. I'd like to know what you didn't like about the trigger. The trigger was the reason I bought mine lol.

I'd say go LCR as I have carried it every day over a year now in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. I carry 2 speed strips as back up in Simply Rugged pouches.

I say LCR because most guns benefit from a trigger job and you can't do that on MIM parts, which Smith & Wesson now makes all their internals out of. The LCR is MIM, but it doesn't need a trigger job bc it's a great design. The Trijicion night sight is awesome. The grip takes up recoil really well, I'd imagine the larger grip does even better, I konw it feels better, it's bigger and molded. It's VERY accurate for a snubby. It's really lightweight, almost like a toy.

Cons: I'd say the MIM parts and the lousy lock device, but Smith has that too. bleh I'd say the polymer and aluminum might be less durable than a Smith gun made of steel/aluminum/whatever alloy.

cecil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an air weight wife has LCR, LCR has a better trigger by far not near as heavy, When we bought wifes LCR we had a Smith air weight with lazer and LCR side by side she thought the lazer was cool and leaning to buy it I told her to pull trigger on both before making a decison she bought the LCR

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older 442 with CT grips and on my Pelouze scales it weights 15.8 oz. empty. My LCR .357mag (oem grips) weights 1 lb. 1.4oz.empty .The trigger in my Smith has been worked on and is very smooth. I guess because I've kept them both tells you I can't pick between them. I carry the LCR the most because it's a .357. I also have a Taurus 850 CIA Ti with CT grips that is very light and shoots great. If you're getting this for your wife have you checked out the S&W 7 shot .22 mag? That model is just like the 442. I know less power but,less recoil.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Profreedomokie said:
I have an older 442 with CT grips and on my Pelouze scales it weights 15.8 oz. empty. My LCR .357mag (oem grips) weights 1 lb. 1.4oz.empty .The trigger in my Smith has been worked on and is very smooth. I guess because I've kept them both tells you I can't pick between them. I carry the LCR the most because it's a .357. I also have a Taurus 850 CIA Ti with CT grips that is very light and shoots great. If you're getting this for your wife have you checked out the S&W 7 shot .22 mag? That model is just like the 442. I know less power but,less recoil.

Recoil does not bother her, its the trigger more than anything that she is picky about.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Model 38 Airweight is my EDC in the summer. I like the trigger. I also like the Ruger and plan on getting the 357 version in the near future. I think the Ruger and 442 are both good choices and you really can't go wrong with either. I would, however, suggest getting the 642 if you go the S&W route as it is less likely to rust (as compared to the 442). The 442 has a carbon steel cylinder as opposed to the more rust-resistant stainless steel cylinder of the 642.

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_My_20Pistolas_20__20May_202012_IMG_5278_001.jpg

RIP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot my beloved 642 & LCR in .357 mag side by side, I sold the Smith. Trigger was much better on the LCR and the Trijicon front sight was easier to p/u on follow up shots. For fun, after comparing them w/ .38's I loaded .357 in the Ruger and managed to keep all 5 rounds on paper down range. Manageable recoil, especially in such a small package. All of my full size wheel guns are S&W b/c they are marvelous revolvers w/o an equal among any other manufactured today...and I've tried the others. The LCR is the odd man out in my collection & I recommend it over a hammerless Smith J frame every time I'm asked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom