Lemme see if I understand the black bear rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In essense, it's...

1. Archery or ML only, in their special short seasons.
2. Like all species, must buy the tag up front of course.
3. It's $101 for residents, for archery
4. The season may be called short if the quota is reached, and you have to call in each night to find out if the quota is reached or not
5. Must be in Push, McCurtain, LeFlore, or Latimer Counties only.

But other than that, it's open on ALL public lands during those seasons, in those 4 counties, in addition to private lands? I did notice that archery equipment specifies "same as deer", which will now mean X-bows.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Only one for the individual, 20 total for the state. You have to check each morning with the game warden to make sure there are still bears left to harvest.

Reaction score
Is the game warden taking calls at 5:00 am before you go out, or do you have to skip hunting during 'prime time' to accomodate them sleeping in, I wonder....

Seems like calling in the evening would make more sense...Just tell the hunters that you have to call by 6:30pm if you want to hunt the next morning, so that the warden can have a home life in the evening. And if you don't, then you have to wait until 8am or whenever the warden takes your call the next morning - that way, you don't miss prime time if you're diligent enough to call in on time the prior evening. Or maybe they let you call super-early - that wouldn't surprise me either, given their normal working hours during hunting season anyway.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is the game warden taking calls at 5:00 am before you go out, or do you have to skip hunting during 'prime time' to accomodate them sleeping in, I wonder....

Seems like calling in the evening would make more sense...Just tell the hunters that you have to call by 6:30pm if you want to hunt the next morning, so that the warden can have a home life in the evening. And if you don't, then you have to wait until 8am or whenever the warden takes your call the next morning - that way, you don't miss prime time if you're diligent enough to call in on time the prior evening. Or maybe they let you call super-early - that wouldn't surprise me either, given their normal working hours during hunting season anyway.

A bear with an arrow wound might not be found until after you go to bed. I have checked deer at 11 PM before. In order to cover yourself, I would risk calling the game warden before I went into the woods. You might wake him up, but at least you know for sure that there are still bears to be shot. It sure beats the alternative.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The harvest quota phone number is listed in the hunting regulations. You can also check online at www.wildlifedepartment.com. The harvest quota has been set at 20 bears for the 2010 season. The number will give you a recording that will say if the harvest quota has been reached. The number is 888 901 3256.

Latest posts

Top Bottom