Les Paul guitar purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 80s a local pawn shop was going out of business. A buddy of mine bought a '76 Gibson firebird (with the Bicentennial trim) in the factory case for...wait for it... $70 out the door.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a 60s vintage Firebird on the Goodwill auction site a few months ago, but enough people scope that site and it went for pretty close to market value. As easy as it is to get info online, anyone can get some idea what something is worth. Sometimes, you can still find great deals if you are patient and are ready to buy before the seller figures out it's worth $$.
I scored a 1965 Fender Bassman head from our local CL last summer for $50. It worked, but needed a cap job and the tolex was a bit rough. I flipped it for a Fener Pro Jr and then flipped the PJ for a new Fender Mustang II 1x12 at Guitar Center.:woohoo1:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wait a minute this can't be right... I thought pawn shops were doing a service and here to help people get loans that they couldn't get otherwise and offer people fair prices for things they wished to sell quickly...

what pawn shop was it?

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't laugh at the guy in the pic. I was in the 8th grade in 1978. I bought both of these guitars just outside the Air Force base in the Philippines. I paid $45 for the Strat and $100 for the Les Paul.

The Strat had a Fender decal on the headstock. The Les Paul had Gibson inlaid in the headstock in mother-of-pearl. The LP also had mother-of-pearl block inlays on the fretboard and binding on the body. The Filipino craftsmen were decent at the woodwork, but the electronics and hardware were terrible.

Anyway...the point to this is that, from a distance, you might not be able to tell these are fakes.

ai291.photobucket.com_albums_ll306_Teeeroy_bucket_Family_8th_Grade.jpg

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She surely just pawned it for that,or it was a copy. Epiphone,Edwards,Tokai,etcetc. The Japanese make some pretty damn good copies. They love guitars there. I know some pawnshop operators,a few in my family,and while most are good guys I suppose some arent. But that would be downright theft if it was a real Gibson Les Paul. I know,I own an old one, and I buy/sell used guitars and gear as a side business. Sounds almost like an urban legend. The 59' Sunburst Les Paul or 50s Strat found under the bed or the little ol lady who calls and says she wants someone to come get this old car out of her garage that her brother bought new then went off to the war and never came back- and its a 57' Corvette or something.

Below is a pic of my 68' Gibson Les Paul Custom that I bought in 86'. Ive bought and sold a bunch of guitars and gear over the years as a side business and as a pro musician,including tons of Gibson Les Pauls,but this one is more than special. I bought the guitar for $250 in an LA pawn shop,along with a 79' Marshall JMP 100 amp head that I gave $300 for and an old beatup 1960A cab that I gave another $100 for. I was 16 and I needed a rig to play in a band that I had just joined- not my first band but the first that had actual paying gigs. The Les Paul joined a Charvel guitar that had been given to me by a girlfriend that her father had given her. (The Charvel was a prototype that had been built by Wayne Charvel at his original shop before Grover was involved in the business and they started mass producing guitars). I still have the guitar and head today and I dont plan on ever either,ever. (That Charvel,Im kicking myself today for selling it. I sold it to buy my first 5150 half stack,one of the first 5150s off the line. I still have it too).

Im gigging today with superstrats and ESP LP types that I can use and abuse and not worry about them getting messed up,or stolen.

some of my gear

[Broken External Image]

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't laugh at the guy in the pic. I was in the 8th grade in 1978. I bought both of these guitars just outside the Air Force base in the Philippines. I paid $45 for the Strat and $100 for the Les Paul.

The Strat had a Fender decal on the headstock. The Les Paul had Gibson inlaid in the headstock in mother-of-pearl. The LP also had mother-of-pearl block inlays on the fretboard and binding on the body. The Filipino craftsmen were decent at the woodwork, but the electronics and hardware were terrible.

Anyway...the point to this is that, from a distance, you might not be able to tell these are fakes.

ai291.photobucket.com_albums_ll306_Teeeroy_bucket_Family_8th_Grade.jpg

Nice! They must be "lawsuit-era" clones? I wish I had discovered Strats a lot earlier. I sometimes wish I had brought a wife home from the P.I....:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom