Let’s talk 308 hunting rifles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for since it has a 22” barrel but one rifle I’m interested in myself (no personal experience yet) is the Weatherby Mark V Hunter. The stock design is the most sensible that Weatherby has ever designed IMHO and the 14” length of pull makes a lot more sense for modern shooters than the industry standard of 13.5” that was implemented decades ago for the shorter people of that day. It comes with a threaded barrel (no brake) which is a plus if you want to shoot suppressed and save your hearing.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/942415247https://weatherby.com/store/mark-v-hunter/Also, the Weatherby safety is a much safer safety than most.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for since it has a 22” barrel but one rifle I’m interested in myself (no personal experience yet) is the Weatherby Mark V Hunter. The stock design is the most sensible that Weatherby has ever designed IMHO and the 14” length of pull makes a lot more sense for modern shooters than the industry standard of 13.5” that was implemented decades ago for the shorter people of that day. It comes with a threaded barrel (no brake) which is a plus if you want to shoot suppressed and save your hearing.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/942415247https://weatherby.com/store/mark-v-hunter/Also, the Weatherby safety is a much safer safety than most.
Problem is I think my LOP is ideally 13-13.25, I’m only 5’9” and have short arms. It’s definitely on the short side of that with lever guns and MSR’s, which I shoot more towards my pec than in my shoulder pocket. 13.25 would be more my flavor for traditional hunting rifles, especially for year around usage.

The weatherby/Howa platforms are nice shooters though, I do like them quite a bit. Both my 308 and 223 shoot sub moa, but the bull barrels are heavy.

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Problem is I think my LOP is ideally 13-13.25, I’m only 5’9” and have short arms. It’s definitely on the short side of that with lever guns and MSR’s, which I shoot more towards my pec than in my shoulder pocket. 13.25 would be more my flavor for traditional hunting rifles, especially for year around usage.

The weatherby/Howa platforms are nice shooters though, I do like them quite a bit. Both my 308 and 223 shoot sub moa, but the bull barrels are heavy.
Understood. I guess the standard 13.5” lop is the happy medium.

I would like to try one out one day. Agreed about bull barrels. Very limited in the utility department IMO

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understood. I guess the standard 13.5” lop is the happy medium.

I would like to try one out one day. Agreed about bull barrels. Very limited in the utility department IMO
Agreed. I bought and built both rifles for stationary stuff. Prairie dogs and target shooting. But now that I’ve gone more into hunting and mobile stuff, bull barrels really don’t do it for me.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just so we're tracking together, a "bull barrel" has no taper at all. Something like a Remington Varmint or Sendero will taper down to about .820 - .830 at the muzzle, and is probably the most common "varmint contour" you'll come across.

A lot of the magnum/5.5 contours will taper down to about .730 at 24" (don't quote me, I don't feel like pulling a rifle out and measuring), but are still going to weigh close to 4lbs, and those rifles will generally weigh in the 8lb range with a sporter style stock (minus scope). Cutting 4" off, or fluting will reduce that weight 6-8oz. Going with a plastic stock can get you down to 7lbs, but I don't trust POI shifts with plastic stocks. Or you can shell out for a lightweight stock from a reputable company (Manners EH series comes to mind).

Sporter barrel contours will get the weight down to the 7lb mark in most occasions while still allowing for a decent stock. Those finish at around .650 at the muzzle for a 24" barrel.

OP, have you looked at the SIG Cross? I know they had their issues at first, but I think they're ironed out by now. Weight and barrel length are right in the wheelhouse of what you wanted.

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rebarreled my old R700 to use for work, and bought a Mauser M18 in 308 as a lightweight hunting rifle. It's based off the R700 long action, cost me $400 from EuroOptic. Paired with an illuminated Primary Arms 1-8 LPVO, it's put the smackdown on deer for a few years now. Light, fast, handy. I've shot steel out to 600 yards with it, but the farthest deer I've killed was about 70 yards.
20220813_104840.jpg

It's not fancy, but it's well built, the price was right, and I've been pleased with it. My total cost was around $900, with optics, rail, rings and sling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom