Let's have some fun! The 1980's aircraft carrier Nimitz vs the Japanese Dec 7th, 1941 and the aftermath

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great movie and funny that you’d bring it up now. Just yesterday I was speaking with someone about the movie. Guess I’m being a dolt @Snattlerake but to what interesting questions are you referring?
EX: If the Nimitz went backward in time to Dec 7th 1941, Would they have to wait for the Japanese to strike Pearl Harbor? You will recall in the history of the war, the Japanese didn't declare war until after the attack. This was a purely logistical delay on the Japanese decoding the message from Japan.

This was in America's favor for it was now a sneak attack without a formal declaration and led to the intense hatred toward the Japanese the American public attained.

Would the Nimitz declare war on the Japanese without congressional or presidential approval? That is what they would be doing.

Capt Yelland, Kirk Douglas, stated this in the movie. He said the only evidence of the attack they had was in the history books.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the way, if something like that really happened, I suspect that the US would have avoided fighting Japan, and ended the European war years earlier. But who really knows. From what I understand the reactor only needs refueling every 20 to 25 years, so it would have sufficient time for technology to progress to be refueled.
They would most certainly have to reverse-engineer all of the systems on the Nimitz. and sequester all of the crew. Possibly even create a naval version of Area 51 for the Nimitz. What about spare parts for the carrier and the aircraft? The metallurgy for manufacturing the planes didn't exist back then.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They would most certainly have to reverse-engineer all of the systems on the Nimitz. and sequester all of the crew. Possibly even create a naval version of Area 51 for the Nimitz. What about spare parts for the carrier and the aircraft? The metallurgy for manufacturing the planes didn't exist back then.

We could have caught up and went forward really quick. Remember, part of the crew are Nuclear Engineers, so they know the math and theory. Planes would be another issue entirely. Some aviators from what I understand are aeronautical engineers, so that would help drastically. We would have had Jet's much sooner, the H Bomb much sooner, and higher tech metallurgy on overload. We may have made it to the moon 15 years sooner as well. Who's to say we don't have a Naval Version of Area 51, USO's and USP are a thing...

Politically with a short lived WW II we may not have had the UN. However the US would be the definitive world power. Who knows what could have happened if we had people understanding the technology and the tech together. Politicians seek power, we could have realized the warped dream of a "one world dictatorship."

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would the E2C's verification of the Japanese carrier group NW of Hawaii bearing SE be evidence enough for a US Navy Captain to launch a strike force against them? That is what he did.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as the Nimitz going back. It would depend on the aircraft carries at the time. The F-14 or F-4 might be to fast to dog fight Zeros, but the A-4 or A-7 might be able. Just not as maneuverable in the A-7s case.

Something similar for those you who can read, find the 7th carrier series of books. A Japanese carrier that was suppose to take part in the Pearl Harbor attacks was locked in ice for 40 years in the arctic or something (long time since I read them) Once freed they carry out their mission right before something dooms jets, missiles and rockets. Good reads. I may have to see if I can download them.

https://www.amazon.com/Seventh-Carrier-Book-ebook/dp/B01F78O19K

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Durning is the only survivor of a unit that landed on Omaha Beach that June 6 in 1944. He holds the Silver Star for valor and three Purple Hearts for wounds he suffered. He was an infantryman, only 17 at the time.

The link's behind a paywall, so for those who can't see the article:
1*Jtdlh3mXHBWyd_VIia-ovw.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom