Let's have some fun! The 1980's aircraft carrier Nimitz vs the Japanese Dec 7th, 1941 and the aftermath

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loved the movie, The Final Countdown, especially the very beginning and the ending. If you missed those scenes, in my opinion, you have missed 50% of the movie.

The movie throws up some very interesting questions after discovering, with verification, that their carrier has traveled back in time to 1941.

What say you?

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gosh, I haven't thought about that movie in probably 35 years,,,
All I remember is that at the time,,,
I thought it was fairly good.

I'll not spoil the ending for anyone.

Aarond

P.S. This is why I miss Netflix DVD rental service,,,
They probably had it for rental.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw the movie as a kid. Bought the model that included the Nimitz and an F-14 Tomcat, spent a week or so painting the ship and aircraft on the tiny deck. Funny story, one of the small planes from the deck, a Tomcat, I still have! My Mom was into miniatures and it was in a room she made that I Inherited. As for the Nimitz it is lost to time, think one of my cousins got it, same with the Tomcat. Kind of wish I had it back.

Heard they had a lot of trouble with the arial scenes since the Tomcats couldn't go as slow as the Zeros, and the Zeros were far slower than the Tomcat's stall speed. Did not like the Charles Durning Character at all. I'll have to catch it again! Actually from a non navy/marine/military guy gave a glimpse into how chaotic it might be to be on an Aircraft carrier. A movie well worth watching for fun.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heard they had a lot of trouble with the arial scenes since the Tomcats couldn't go as slow as the Zeros, and the Zeros were far slower than the Tomcat's stall speed.
Mover interviewed one of the Tomcat pilots who flew in the movie. They had to manually keep the wings swept to make it look like they were going fast, so that kept them moving around stall speed to stay in the frame with the Zekes (stall speed on the Tomcat was lower than that, but that’s with the wings extended).

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw the movie as a kid. Bought the model that included the Nimitz and an F-14 Tomcat, spent a week or so painting the ship and aircraft on the tiny deck. Funny story, one of the small planes from the deck, a Tomcat, I still have! My Mom was into miniatures and it was in a room she made that I Inherited. As for the Nimitz it is lost to time, think one of my cousins got it, same with the Tomcat. Kind of wish I had it back.

Heard they had a lot of trouble with the arial scenes since the Tomcats couldn't go as slow as the Zeros, and the Zeros were far slower than the Tomcat's stall speed. Did not like the Charles Durning Character at all. I'll have to catch it again! Actually from a non navy/marine/military guy gave a glimpse into how chaotic it might be to be on an Aircraft carrier. A movie well worth watching for fun.
They say the greatest compliment an actor can receive is making the public hate the character he plays. I didn't like the pompous Senator Chapman either.

Charles Durning was at Omaha Beach.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...durning/d952763a-f3a4-4b4d-9f89-bbc489392d30/

Durning is the only survivor of a unit that landed on Omaha Beach that June 6 in 1944. He holds the Silver Star for valor and three Purple Hearts for wounds he suffered. He was an infantryman, only 17 at the time.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By the way, if something like that really happened, I suspect that the US would have avoided fighting Japan, and ended the European war years earlier. But who really knows. From what I understand the reactor only needs refueling every 20 to 25 years, so it would have sufficient time for technology to progress to be refueled.

Latest posts

Top Bottom