Let's play "What is it?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Baikal MCM

The pistol was designed by Mikhail Vladimirovich Margolin (1906–1975). It was produced since 1948[1] and made its international debut at the 36th World Shooting Championships held in 1954 at Caracas, Venezuela.[2]

A very accurate, reliable and economically priced pistol of functional and simple design. The designer himself was blind - he was fighting in the Red Army against the "bandits" (anti-communist rebels) in the aftermath of the Russian Civil War and in 1924 (at the age of 18) had head injury resulting in total loss of vision.

There is some criticism of the pistol's elevated plane of sight, blaming it on an incorrect notion that the designer could not aim his pistol. However, Margolin's raised plane of sight is a deliberate design feature that increased the accuracy of the pistol. The bridge that made the rear sight stationary combined with the unusually high sights allows the shooter to hold the pistol lower and aligns barrel with the shoulder, giving the shooter an improvement in control in rapid fire competition. The high line of sight is a design feature that the Margolin's designs had in common with the famous AK-47. The AK-47, designed between 1946 and 1948, like the Margolin, had high sights which lowered the barrel, put it more in line with the shoulder, reducing muzzle climb.[3]

The barrel, being comparatively light-weight, can be equipped with an under barrel weight for added steadiness.

To be fair @HoLeChit's post got me headed in the right direction on a search.

Last edited:

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All wonderful guesses, and I must admit that I'm sorry to see it end so soon. The winner is... blackknight22! It is indeed a Norinco PS01. For those who were guessing the Margolin, the PS01 is a not so distant cousin. If communist countries have an equivalent to "patent infringement " this would make a good case for it.
I hope this brought a little bit of fun to the forum, and I hope someone picks up the torch and runs with it, I would love to see some things that I've never seen before and challenge my gray matter.

Thank you all for your participation.

Here is a non-redacted photo.
20220828_145004.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All wonderful guesses, and I must admit that I'm sorry to see it end so soon. The winner is... blackknight22! It is indeed a Norinco PS01. For those who were guessing the Margolin, the PS01 is a not so distant cousin. If communist countries have an equivalent to "patent infringement " this would make a good case for it.
I hope this brought a little bit of fun to the forum, and I hope someone picks up the torch and runs with it, I would love to see some things that I've never seen before and challenge my gray matter.

Love these threads. I learned something today.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Here is a non-redacted photo.View attachment 298827

If'n you should ever decide to move this to the next owner, please let me know!

Latest posts

Top Bottom