License Question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have moved here from Alabama to go to school. Will be here for only two years so I am gonna keep my Alabama Drivers license valid. We are renting our house but the utilities are in my name. My question is am I going to have to buy a non resisdent permit to hunt? Looked on the license web site and didnt see a clear answer. Anybody know anything about it?

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not for sure about this one, but it seems to me that you would have to be living here for 6 months and have a valid oklahoma drivers license to be considered a resident... but I could be wrong on this... I'm sure someone that know for sure will step in and answer your question.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have moved here from Alabama to go to school. Will be here for only two years so I am gonna keep my Alabama Drivers license valid. We are renting our house but the utilities are in my name. My question is am I going to have to buy a non resisdent permit to hunt? Looked on the license web site and didnt see a clear answer. Anybody know anything about it?

http://wildlifedepartment.com/regs/resident.htm

Resident vs Nonresident - What's The Difference?

A "Resident" is any individual who has an established residence in Oklahoma for a period of not less than 60 consecutive days immediately preceding the date the application for a license is submitted. (Note: For the lifetime licenses and the 5-year licenses, the period of residency must be six months or more.) The burden of establishing proof of residency is on the person claiming residency status. A person holding a valid driver license shall be deemed to be a resident of the state issuing the license or permit. For a valid Oklahoma driver license to be used as the sole source of proof of residency, it shall have been issued not less than 60 days prior to submission of the application. If a person does not hold a valid Oklahoma driver license, the Department may consider other reliable documentation for establishing proof of residency including, but not limited to, resident income tax returns, voter registration, motor vehicle or vessel registrations, and other public records documenting residence. Residency status of children under 18 years of age is presumed to be that of the custodial parent or legal guardian unless otherwise documented. Ownership or possession of real property in the state by a person residing outside the state shall not qualify the person as a resident. A person is not entitled to claim multiple states of residence, except as follows:

1. A person who is not otherwise a resident of the state and is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and is on active duty and permanently assigned to a military installation located in the state shall be eligible to qualify as a resident if the person presents with the license application a certificate of assignment in the state from a commanding officer or designated representative. A spouse or dependent of the person who is not otherwise a resident of the state, is living within the same household and is similarly certified by a commanding officer, shall also be eligible to qualify as a resident; and

2. The residency of a person shall not terminate upon entering the U.S. Armed Forces. A person on active duty who resided in the state upon entering military service, and any dependents of the person, is presumed to retain residency status in the state as long as the person is on active duty and maintains Oklahoma as their official "state of residence" or "home of record", as shown on current leave and earnings statement.

The residency status of any person, including a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, shall terminate if the person obtains any resident hunting, fishing, trapping license or permit or valid driver license issued by another state.

A "Nonresident" is any individual who is a resident of another state or who has resided in Oklahoma for a period of less than 60 days whether or not he or she intends to make Oklahoma his or her home.

Looks like you cannot claim residency while holding a valid driver's license from another state.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll tell you from first hand experience that sometimes, game wardens will wait for you at your vehicle if it has an out of state tag! Might be difficult to explain how you have a resident hunting license while driving an out of state licensed vehicle and having an out of state driver's license!

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll tell you from first hand experience that sometimes, game wardens will wait for you at your vehicle if it has an out of state tag! Might be difficult to explain how you have a resident hunting license while driving an out of state licensed vehicle and having an out of state driver's license!

Being as he is a student, I don't think it's too much of an issue. But, to make sure, call the game ranger for the County you live in and ask. All of their numbers are at the rear of the regs, or on the website, www.wildlifedepartment.com

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why not just change your liscense over... then change it back when u get home?
I lived in Kansas for 2 years and thats what I did and even got my lifetime before moving back.

If it was as simple as that i would do it. But from what I understand I would be required to change my vehicle registrations over also if I have a OK. drivers License??? Is that correct?

Latest posts

Top Bottom