Lifetime license question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to buy the trapping license but not the fur license.
Two different things - put out traps = trapping license
Shoot'em, stab'em,trap'em or whack'em with a big stick you got to have a fur license to possess the pelt.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
License Requirements

Resident: A hunting license or proof of exemption.

In addition to a hunting license, a trapping license is required for all persons who trap any furbearer, unless otherwise exempt. The trapping license is valid from Dec. 1, 2010 - Feb. 28, 2011.

A fur license (bobcat-raccoon-river otter-gray/red fox license) is required for all (regardless of age) who take these species by any means (trapping, firearms or archery) unless exempt. The fur license is valid from Dec. 1, 2010 - Feb. 28, 2011.

Lifetime hunting or combination license holders or senior citizen hunting or senior citizen combination license holders must purchase a trapping license to trap, but are exempt from the fur license.

Nonresident: A nonresident hunting license or proof of exemption.

In addition, a nonresident (professional) trapping license is required for all persons who trap any furbearer. This trapping license is valid from Dec. 1, 2010 - Feb. 28, 2011.

A nonresident fur license (bobcat-raccoon-river otter-gray/red fox license) is required for all who take these species by any means (trapping, firearms or archery). Such license is valid Dec. 1, 2010 - Feb. 28, 2011.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, the law changed when the Gov signed HB 2963, but I don't think it takes effect until 1/1/2011.

The Wildlife Dept needs to update the website to reflect the changes!

Legislative Session 2010
updated August 09, 2010 01:51 PM

New Laws passed by the Legislature and signed by the Governor 2010

Senate Bill 1275 by Sen. Gumm and Rep. Carey of the House. Would allow taxidermists to sell unclaimed taxidermy to other Oklahoma residents six months following notification that the specimen is completed for an amount not to exceed the original price for mounting the specimen. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2010. Signed by the Governor.

Senate Bill 1594 by Sen. Marlatt and Rep. Sanders. Allows crossbows and conventional bows with draw lock devices as a legal means of hunting whenever conventional bows are allowed. Bill would be effective immediately. Signed by the Governor.
House Bill 1889 by Rep. Phil Richardson and Sen. Sparks. Would allow the Wildlife Department to establish Oklahoma as a member of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact and designate procedures for implementation. Signed by the Governor.

House Bill 2295 by Reps. Armes and Jordan and Sens. Shulz and Ivester. Codifying Department of Agriculture rules on farmed cervidae and allowing the sale of antlers and horns from farmed cervidae or commercial hunting areas; allowing the ODWC Director to grant an exemption for the sale of antlers and horns in other circumstances. Bill would be effective immediately. Awaiting action by the Governor.
House Bill 2861 by Rep. Richardson and Sen. Garrison. Increases fines for certain wildlife violations and provides for restitution in cases involving illegal killing or possession of wildlife. Allows courts to suspend or revoke hunting and fishing license privileges depending on the type of violation and a person’s previous record of violations. Bill would be effective immediately upon passage. Signed by the Governor.
House Bill 2862 by Reps. Richardson and Roan and Sen. Justice. Specifies that the Wildlife Conservation Commission can establish an annual user license for people who do not have a hunting or fishing license for lands owned by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. Signed by the Governor.
House Bill 2963 by Rep. Sears and Sen. Schulz. Hunting and Fishing License consolidation bill. Bill would be effective Jan. 1, 2011.Signed by the Governor.
Directing that lifetime licenses sold to persons under 18 years age can be paid for through installments not to exceed a three-year period of time and in a manner determined by the Wildlife Department.
Would allow all residents and nonresidents to fish in state-designated trout areas without having to buy a special trout license. Costs for the trout program would be offset by increasing nonresident fishing license fees. Adds housekeeping language that incorporates the Fishing and Hunting Legacy Permit in with nonresident fishing licenses.
Changing the five-day nonresident fishing license to a six-day license.
Consolidates and simplifies nonresident deer licensing by providing only one license for each of the deer season – archery, muzzleloader and gun. Specifies a fee of $279 for a nonresident deer license.
Provides for the option of hunting license effective dates to expire June 30 of the following fiscal year or Dec. 31 the end of the calendar year.
Provides that all persons serving on active duty in the United States Armed Forces can purchase any resident annual fishing or hunting license.
Lifetime license consolidation bill would provide for uniform benefits between senior citizen lifetime licenses and regular lifetime licenses. Would also make lifetime license holders exempt from the trapping license and extend the effective dates for the trapping license through the end of February to include all of furbearer season. Would also consolidate some lifetime licenses.
Changed the year in which you can purchase the senior citizen license to seniors 65 and older that calendar year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would be sweet!
I've always wondered why a lifetime had to buy a trapping license. I already have mine, so I'm covered no matter.

As I understood it, the trout stamp was how the ODW paid for the trout to be stocked. I'm hoping enough out of staters will caugh up the money to offset the money we paid.
I didn't have a problem paying the trout stamp knowing it went directly to buying the trout.

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey shawn have you been seeing any bobcats around there? That would be pretty nice to tag one of those out. I know josh jones has one sitting on his fridge.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buzzgun, that is good to know. Thanks. I only buy a trapping, furbearer and regular hunting. I assume it doesn't cover the 'professional' license though.

Can't answer that one, I've always just bought the standard trapping license. A quick call to the wildlife dept would get you a definitive answer.

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hey shawn have you been seeing any bobcats around there? That would be pretty nice to tag one of those out. I know josh jones has one sitting on his fridge.

Seen 1 on the cam, 1 while deer hunting, then M. Covington's friend saw 3 one morning.

Scooter said Josh got a monster deer over by Jenks airport. Might check his facebook to see if he put it on there or if its as big as the rumor is told.

Latest posts

Top Bottom