long range rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree with some of the earlier responses. Some interesting tactical rounds seem to be:
.50 BMG
.416 Barrett
.408 Cheytac
.338 Lapua
.300 Weatherby Mag
.300 Win Mag
.308 Win (7.62Nato)
7mm Rem Mag
.260 Rem
.223 Rem (5.56)

The most popular tac round is probably 7.62Nato (.308 Win.).

Currently am using:
Rem 700, 7mm Rem Mag with Nightforce scope
HS Precision HTR, .308 Win with US Optics scope

If money was "no object", I'd have a .408 Cheytac (M-300?) deployment package.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just go with a 308, it will teach you to hit at different ranges due to the rainbow trajectory plus there is a mess of information on ballistics that can help you get going. I love mine and it will hit at 1K no problem but I will say the 243 with 107SMK's and the 284 Win are much easier to hit with since I don't have to do as much since they are such flat calibers. I got over 8K rounds out of my first 308 before the barrel tanked the other hotter rounds like the 6.5x284 are fine long range calibers but save money for a barrel most average around 1500 rounds give or take a couple hundered before a new tube is needed. Whatever caliber you go with as long as you have you drop charts and can dope the wind you can hit! a 22RF will get there but the drop is crazy! just practice and get to know your caliber and all will be good. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom