Lonliest bird in Push Co.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't stand it any longer and went to the woods yesterday morning to go turkey hunting... with a camera. Our season still isn't open for another week, but I just had to get out. Friday morning I heard these 4 jakes going ballistic, knew where they had roosted, where they were headed, so I thought I'd jump in front of them and see if I could get some pics. And of course I get there.... crickets. Waited and waited, not a gobble one close to me. So I start back to the truck and there was one distinct gobble that I kept hearing every few minutes, but he was a mile away as the crow flies. I started humping it over that way to where I figured he was, heard him a time or two on my way, so I had his location pinned down pretty well. Finally got there and threw a hen deek out and got settled. Finally I let out one call and he cut me off before I had finished and was on his way. He gobbled a few more times and I could tell he was getting closer, then silence. He didn't say a word for what seemed like a long time, then I hear him coming in drumming. That is such an awesome sound. He gets out in full view and he was a beautiful mature bird, it was majestic. (pardon the bad calling)

Last edited by a moderator:

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, so now he has been out there for 45 minutes in full strut and my butt is getting sore. He has no intentions of leaving and I didn't want to just spook him off, so I started messing with him. He did finally walk to the side a little bit, was still within 40 yards of me, but can't see him unless you look close in this clip. He'd gobble to anything, but wouldn't leave for squat!

It was the most fun I had had in a long time. Now I don't even care if I kill one this season, other than to eat. I got to see a good show at 20 yards for 45 minutes and both the turkey and I lived to tell about it. Sorry for all the posts, I got excited. Never got to capture one on film before like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom