Lost respect for Pawn Stars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mr.357Sig said:
Next you're gonna tell me that those limp-wristed Cabeleros on American Pickers aren't real.

...And the host of Top Shot is a pretentious *********. Yeah, right.

I hear ya on American Pickers. I ~kinda~ like the show. Frank drives me nuts but I'm not sure why. He's just a bit of a little twerp. Wouldn't mind hanging out with Dani for a bit though!

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No respect for low ball offers? Its a fecking pawn shop. If you wanted to get retail or close for an item... the last place you go is a pawn shop. Wow, some of you guys...

^^This, I don't think some of these guys have ever dealt with a pawn shop. Guess what ? They're in business to make MONEY.If you don't like what they offer you may leave with your item.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
redmax51 said:
^^This, I don't think some of these guys have ever dealt with a pawn shop. Guess what ? They're in business to make MONEY.If you don't like what they offer you may leave with your item.

Roger that. We had a pawn shop discussion here about a year ago and offended one of the pawn brokers who used to frequent the forum.

I've messed around in pawn shops ever since I was a young teen, working deals on stuff like musical instruments to guns. Honestly cannot tell you how many drum sets I have dragged home from pawnshops.

As with anything else there ARE exceptions to this rule but generally pawn brokers could not care less about you or whatever you are trying to pawn or sell. When you walk in the door with an item to sell, they have already loosely evaluated it before you make it to the counter. I used to work with a guy who had worked at a pawn shop in college and he said they generally wouldn't buy an item unless they could turn 200% profit on it.

I worked with another guy who worked at a shop after he retired from the Navy. The owner of the shop was a Jewish family and the shop was in an old bank. The vault was stuffed full of jewelry and gold and he said the family was stupid wealthy and extremely shrewd at working deals.

Take a look at the Old Man's house on Pawn Stars. Dude is rolling in it. He didn't get that was from buying items from customers at near-market value. He did it from buying cheap and selling high. It's nothing personal, it's just the way it works.

I love pawn shops. They are the American equivalent of the open air markets in other countries. It's a game of negotiation and treasure hunting.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya on American Pickers. I ~kinda~ like the show. Frank drives me nuts but I'm not sure why. He's just a bit of a little twerp. Wouldn't mind hanging out with Dani for a bit though!

GC LOVES American Pickers. **sigh** There was an episode not too long ago where this guy had a 23-window sitting out in a wooded spot rusting away. The guys offered him $5000 and he said no thanks, he was gonna restore it. Yeah ... right ... If he was gonna restore it, it wouldn't have been sitting off in the back 20 rusting away. I'd had that title out of the box and into their hands so fast folks' heads would have been spinning!

I want tats like Dani's ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom