M&P9c Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too have adopted the M&P9C for serious carry. When weather permits I carry one in an IWB holster. (When it's 100 degrees I might just have a pocket gun.)

Glocks are benchmark pistols but I don't do well with their grip angle or the little flap on the trigger.

I think the M&P9C is a capable gun. I put 1,050 rounds through mine in two days at a recent TDSA training course. It ran perfectly and shot well.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the M&P9C is a capable gun. I put 1,050 rounds through mine in two days at a recent TDSA training course. It ran perfectly and shot well.

Nice! No failures?

I'm about 750 rounds into my fullsize M&P with no cleaning. Shooting a match or two this weekend and TDSA AP1 the next using the cheapest, crappiest, dirtiest ammo I can get my hands on. No plans on cleaning it any time soon...should be interesting.

I also carry a M&P9c. Came up on GLOCKs like the rest of you folks, but fell in love with the ergos and highly tunable trigger of the M&P (and it's American!). The felt recoil of the M&P is less than that of the GLOCK and it also doesn't shower my head in brass like many of the GLOCKs I've owned.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have and absolutely love my M&P40. I've been considering a M&P40c as the full size is just a bit big for concealment.

If you had your druthers, would you get a M&P9c or the M&P40c and why?
I've got .40 cal and .9mm ammo running out the kazoo, so ammo selection/standardization isn't really an issue.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! No failures?

Absolutely none.

If you had your druthers, would you get a M&P9c or the M&P40c and why?

I recently faced a similar decision. I was thinking about selling some other guns to get a M&P40c to go with my 9c. However, after test firing an M&P40c I concluded the 40c is not for me, though it is a good concept.

Recoil was the main problem. My wrists hurt after 50 rounds of practice with the .40. Lots of muzzle flip too. I like to train hard with my carry guns. I can rattle full power ammo through the 9mm Compact all day with little discomfort. Accuracy was also poorer with the .40 I tested than with the 9mm.

Finally, the .40 I tested had several failures to cycle, whereas my 9mm has never malfunctioned through well over 2,000 rounds fired. However, I don't weigh that too heavily against the .40 because the one I was shooting was a range rental. Who knows when it was last cleaned. Anyway, the 9mm was far more controllable for me, so I am sticking with the 9c for carry. (Those with thicker arms & wrists can probably handle a 40c with ease.)

I still want an M&P chambered in .40 S&W, but for me it will have to be the full sized frame. Put tritiums and a Surefire on one, stuff it with 15 Gold Dots, and you'd have a great nightstand pistol. The .40 S&W's ballistics are impressive.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of your Southern holster? (sounds kind of like "southern engineering") Just kidding but I would like to see a picture, maybe even a pic of it on your belt

Here's some pictures of the Southern Holster (I believe it's called "the Memphis")

ai879.photobucket.com_albums_ab360_panuccis_Recreation_IMGP0292.jpg

ai879.photobucket.com_albums_ab360_panuccis_Recreation_IMGP0287.jpg

This is a comparison with the Milts Sparks VMII. As you can see, the Southern Holster (on the right) sets significantly lower and has several degrees more cant. This allows the rear of the slide to ride closer to the belt line yet the grip is very easy to access. I like it much, much better than the MS VMII. It has no reinfirced mouth so it's slimmer, which I also prefer.

ai879.photobucket.com_albums_ab360_panuccis_Recreation_IMGP0303.jpg

Here's how it rides.

ai879.photobucket.com_albums_ab360_panuccis_Recreation_IMGP0311.jpg

ai879.photobucket.com_albums_ab360_panuccis_Recreation_IMGP0308.jpg

I included this one to show my so far favorite Summer Special II type. It's on the far right and is a Milt Sparks Heritage. Had to wait 8 months and cost $135. It's good but not worth all that. A similar one from mitch rosen expres line is as good, quicker, cheaper. Another from Pocket Concealmen Systems is likely going to be my next one

ai879.photobucket.com_albums_ab360_panuccis_Recreation_IMGP0304.jpg

I love the Southern Holster so much more I will never buy another VMII. For my fit and comfort the VMII rides too high, not enough cant and leaves the rear of the slide protuding dramatically against my shirt. If you're willing to put up with the wait and pay through the nose the MS heritage is a good holster. It's just that my dealing with MS has me turned off from them and there are dozens of high quality makers out there now. The SH Memphis was just under $100 and took less than 2 months to get.

On a side note Burklee, you got my vote for top avatar!

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I carried a Kel-Tec PF9 for over a year. It just didn't work for me. I got a Ruger SR9c and it's great! I carry it in a simple uncle Mike's belt belt slide holster. Works great!

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a convert from glocks as well. Started my out on an XD40 tactical at first..... shot it once out at tulsa firearms with a buddy who had a glock 19 and quickly found out i liked and shot way better with the glock and shouldn't have went against my better judgment at the time of purchase. Well after about almost a year of shooting with my G19 i had a itch that i had to scratch so i picked up a full size M&P 9mm. Took em out to the range and was really impressed. especially shooting both side by side just felt better with the S&W in every way. So after that i rented the 9c and ran it back to back with the glock as well. Same thing couldnt see any reason not to switch given it was just a touch smaller only lose 2rd's of capacity but shot just as well if not better with it and just pointed more naturally.

So now here a few months later ran with it in an advanced carry class at ussa which isn't a high rd count class by any means think we shot 300rds or so but even still i've put close to 1k through it and my full size each. No issues and have talked to a couple guys who have a couple thousand rounds through them between cleanings and still no problems. Either way they are awesome weapons and are just as capable as anything else on the market in my own opinion.

By the way my M&P9c rides in a crossbreed supertuck everytime i step outside my house. Hell went on a 5 hour drive each way to missouri with the family over the weekend and was fine.:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom