M1s from Korea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine they are going to be horrible piles of crap that will further dilute the Garand gene pool.

We'll see them in our own classified section soon for $900 with stupid comments like "I don't know much about Garands, but I'm pretty sure this one is all original cuz the guy I bought it from said his brother's uncles dad brought it home from the war in his duffel bag, and it's only been shot twice since I've owned it".

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I imagine they are going to be horrible piles of crap that will further dilute the Garand gene pool.

We'll see them in our own classified section soon for $900 with stupid comments like "I don't know much about Garands, but I'm pretty sure this one is all original cuz the guy I bought it from said his brother's uncles dad brought it home from the war in his duffel bag, and it's only been shot twice since I've owned it".

This... is sadly... true.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yup.

But, it will make CMP-papered Garands more valuable.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CMP passed on them. Orest Michaels posted on the CMP forum (the old one!) circa 2006 that he had inspected some of those rifles and that they "would not even meet rack grade" and that they were "barely parts grade". On top of that, there were some people who wanted some bribes to make the deal happen, so he just said 'no'.

I'll try and find his original post on the deal.

Remember, not all US weapons used by foreign governments are lend/lease. There are all different flavors of foreign aid, and some of those result in requirements to 'return' US material and some don't.

It's funny, I was talking with someone last night about this, and they said the exact same thing about CMP passed on them.

Guess it's going to be comical seeing these rifles probably tables full of them going for $1K a piece at future gun shows.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's already happening, I've been with cash in hand to buy M1's and start looking it over, and in the meantime I get this story from the seller on how this rifle is "all original" this exact one landed at Normandy by a guy who over ran a machine gun nest and yada, yada, yada.

Well a guy who was carrying a M1 Garand more than likely did all that, but NOT with this rifle b/c getting down to the details, the rifle in question is nowhere near orginal it's a mutt, plus the rifle I was looking at was an IHC.

For you that don't know IHC's and HRA rifles weren't made till after WWII was long over.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably the same batch of guns I tried to get in on 20 years ago.
The law reads "If they bought them they could re-import them. If they were lend-lease they couldn't" The Koreans never could come up with the ownership documents. Back then they were asking $99 ea. for the lot.
They must have worked out some kind of deal with the US gov.
They'll probably sell them through the people at governmentliquidation.com
I was trying to work the deal right after the Blue-sky's came in from Korea.

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered a SASG from the CMP in mid November, and got a "correct" 5.8 million 32 days after I dropped the order in the mail slot.

I won't consider another source the CMP for Garands after an "established member" sold me a CAI M1, as "the genuine article". Story for another day.

I can't wait until they get their M2 ball replenished either.

W150

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My guess is the importer is paying $220 to sell to wholesaler around $400 who will sell to the retailer in the $500 range so that puts the gunshow price in the $600 range.
If they are comparable to the Blue Sky guns I would not pay that.
Most of the Blue Sky guns needed at least a new barrel.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
would love purchase a Garand for $220 range... but that's not going to happen. by the time rifle reaches end customer, no telling what price will be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom