MAJOR TSUNAMI---Damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother lives close to the beach on Oahu and my dad is their also working on a Immigration case..They both are survivors so if they heard the warnings they are safe..Hopefully they call sometime today saying they both are okay. I dont want to call and tie up the lines for people who may need them on the islands.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm going to say I'm pretty sickened at some of the pictures included in the Tsunami/quake damage. I'm only up to the 48th picture, but 5 or 6 so far have been pictures of the GD NYSE workers with captions on how they're betting due to the quake. Along with that, the picture/caption of how oil edged under $100 due to speculation that consumption will be slashed for awhile due to the quake.

**** like that is what really pizzes me off about even having a stock market.

Thoughts go out to all those who have been TRULY affected by this, as will as sincerest hopes that no submarines were in port in Yokosuka when this hit. I read that several nuclear plants along the coast had issues, including loss of secondary cooling resulting in a shutdown at one, so I hope no pri-sec casualties occur as well.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh Oh

Developing emergency at the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

When the earthquake and tsunami hit, the reactor shut down normally but they also had a fire and loss of coolant to the reactor core.
They are trying to inject cooling water now but the pressure inside the containment vessel is so high they will have to release some of the radioactive gas first in order to lower the pressure enough to inject more cooling water.

It sounds like they are worried about uncovering the core.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice the civility of the Japanese people?

I'm always impressed with that society, and this unbelievable catastrophe shows yet again how respectful they are. No major panic, no looting concerns - just overall order.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh Oh

Developing emergency at the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

When the earthquake and tsunami hit, the reactor shut down normally but they also had a fire and loss of coolant to the reactor core.
They are trying to inject cooling water now but the pressure inside the containment vessel is so high they will have to release some of the radioactive gas first in order to lower the pressure enough to inject more cooling water.

It sounds like they are worried about uncovering the core.

Please, please, please, don't go off of this POS article for updates about this issue.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karl-grossman/japan-nuclear-fukushima-_b_834559.html

I seriously want to smack this dude upside the head. As much as I've forgotten about nuclear power(after working through a refueling process and an initial startup of a new reactor, in addition to a year or so sitting on both sides of the reactor operator, controlling reactor power myself) I can see the liberal anti-nuclear energy manifesting itself in every sentence of this article.

Yes they're having issues. Yes,they are serious issues. No, this is NOT going to turn out like Chernobyl. In the absolute worst case scenario, they will place gas/diesel driven pumps in line with the emergency cooling systems and pump seawater into the facility. What they are doing right now is everything but that to try to savage the hundreds of millions of dollars of equipment that goes into a nuclear power plant, as well as minimize and prevent a gaseous fission product release.

Nuclear plants release gas all the time. It's a planned procedure that occurs often. They don't release it directly to the atmosphere, it is filtered and then discharged through water filters before eventually being allowed to pass into the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, I was afraid this kind of news agenda was going to occur as soon as I read about Fukushima this morning. The article above is written by a d-bag to assist in a political agenda. If you don't want to live with nuclear power, then I suggest you go ahead and move to a 3rd world country and see how long your light bulbs stay on, or how long the haze stays in the air.

ETA: I'm not saying anybody said anything about nuclear power here, just that this "we're all going to day because of a Chernobyl event halfway around the world" crap pizzes me off.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please, please, please, don't go off of this POS article for updates about this issue.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karl-grossman/japan-nuclear-fukushima-_b_834559.html

I seriously want to smack this dude upside the head. As much as I've forgotten about nuclear power(after working through a refueling process and an initial startup of a new reactor, in addition to a year or so sitting on both sides of the reactor operator, controlling reactor power myself) I can see the liberal anti-nuclear energy manifesting itself in every sentence of this article.

Yes they're having issues. Yes,they are serious issues. No, this is NOT going to turn out like Chernobyl. In the absolute worst case scenario, they will place gas/diesel driven pumps in line with the emergency cooling systems and pump seawater into the facility. What they are doing right now is everything but that to try to savage the hundreds of millions of dollars of equipment that goes into a nuclear power plant, as well as minimize and prevent a gaseous fission product release.

Nuclear plants release gas all the time. It's a planned procedure that occurs often. They don't release it directly to the atmosphere, it is filtered and then discharged through water filters before eventually being allowed to pass into the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, I was afraid this kind of news agenda was going to occur as soon as I read about Fukushima this morning. The article above is written by a d-bag to assist in a political agenda. If you don't want to live with nuclear power, then I suggest you go ahead and move to a 3rd world country and see how long your light bulbs stay on, or how long the haze stays in the air.

ETA: I'm not saying anybody said anything about nuclear power here, just that this "we're all going to day because of a Chernobyl event halfway around the world" crap pizzes me off.

Bloomberg Financial channel

And THIS gas WAS released into the atmosphere. They had no choice.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bloomberg Financial channel

And THIS gas WAS released into the atmosphere. They had no choice.

I would almost 100% assure you that it was still lined up through a filtration system, and that any amount of radiation released is minimal.

I think most people would be truly surprised how todays systems compare to those of years ago. The ion/resin exchanging units trap so much of the particulates that spills and the like are extremely minimal releases.

The proof was always in the pudding for Submariners. Living, working, eating, and sleeping within 50 yards of it gave you less radiation/cancer risk than people that went to the tanning salon once a week, or people that smoked a pack of cigarettes a week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom