MAJOR TSUNAMI---Damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just watched a nuclear physicist say they are not losing radioactive gas but are venting steam from the cooling systems that is slightly radioactive. Still a problem but not as bad as early reports.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that it will play out interestingly over the next few days.

I do think that Japan has had at least two more SHTF events a little bigger than this though...

:greetings

If you are referring to the two firecrackers we sent their way in WWII I believe you are way off base. No way were those two bombs bigger than this event. I think the quake was more devastating than the bombs then the tsunami was bigger than the bombs, but add the two together and the devastation is off the charts. I'm not sure there has ever been a natural disaster that will cause more long term harm than this quake and tsunami. Maybe more in the loss of life, but I doubt more in the total cost to rebuild, if they can rebuild in some of the coastal areas.

Just my 2 cents.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just watched a nuclear physicist say they are not losing radioactive gas but are venting steam from the cooling systems that is slightly radioactive. Still a problem but not as bad as early reports.
Not really worried about the venting.

It's the implication of why they are venting that is cause for concern.

It's almost certainly to lower pressure inside the reactor vessel so they can inject badly needed coolant.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really worried about the venting.

It's the implication of why they are venting that is cause for concern.

It's almost certainly to lower pressure inside the reactor vessel so they can inject badly needed coolant.

Exactly right. According to the physicist they have the reactors shut down but both main and secondary cooling systems failed, and while they think they have the problem under control they still need to get things cooled down more.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly right. According to the physicist they have the reactors shut down but both main and secondary cooling systems failed, and while they think they have the problem under control they still need to get things cooled down more.

I think we actually agree. :thumbup3:

Every hour that goes by without incident is absolutely Golden.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are referring to the two firecrackers we sent their way in WWII I believe you are way off base. No way were those two bombs bigger than this event. I think the quake was more devastating than the bombs then the tsunami was bigger than the bombs, but add the two together and the devastation is off the charts. I'm not sure there has ever been a natural disaster that will cause more long term harm than this quake and tsunami. Maybe more in the loss of life, but I doubt more in the total cost to rebuild, if they can rebuild in some of the coastal areas.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't have any numbers and it is too early to say much. My gut feeling is that the two WWII firecrackers were a bigger deal. Tens of thousands were killed and the devastation especially in Hiroshima was large.
I personally have a lot of faith in the Japanese people, a lot of things will not be perfect but overall they will handle it with grace.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Scary isn't it? :rotflmao:

Does not help that the main plant with problems is an old design that was supposed to be at the end of it time, but was just approved to run another 10 years.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The news media love to exaggerate, think of the great disaster of the three mile island.
All the death, the destruction, the devastation, the sick, the poor, the huddled masses, the empty faces, the dead eyes.
I'd better stop it's getting deep.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The news media love to exaggerate, think of the great disaster of the three mile island.
All the death, the destruction, the devastation, the sick, the poor, the huddled masses, the empty faces, the dead eyes.
I'd better stop it's getting deep.
What was the total financial cost of TMI?
I have the congressional report in e-book form on my netbook but it's in the other room and I'm tired.

Latest posts

Top Bottom