MAJOR TSUNAMI---Damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The news idiots have one agenda, and that is to wipe nuclear power clean so little fluffy bunnies can play in sunshine and unicorns can prance around farting out rainbows.This falls in line with every thing I abhore.

If you've read all of what I posted, I applaud you. I spent a year and a half in school learning this crap, as well as the operation of the junk, with a minimum average of 11 hours a day in the classroom, and it never really sunk in until I got out of the Navy.

I read, and understand everything you said. Neuclear energy has been used on ships on the US Navy for a cazillion years, without a mishap on board.
Not saying there have not been problems.....but those have been on the Soviet side. One of their subs had an issue, but it still did not result in a ball of neuclear fire ball burning into china. It resulted in about 40 Russian Seamen dying. I can't remember the subs name right now but can look it up.

The Russain sub was at the point of a major malfunction, and several of the crew volunteered to go into the area, knowing they were going to die within a couple of days. They are Hero's.

Cold war crap was a tough time to be in the sub service. The guys that were, get my respect.:clap3:

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read, and understand everything you said. Neuclear energy has been used on ships on the US Navy for a cazillion years, without a mishap on board.
Not saying there have not been problems.....but those have been on the Soviet side. One of their subs had an issue, but it still did not result in a ball of neuclear fire ball burning into china. It resulted in about 40 Russian Seamen dying. I can't remember the subs name right now but can look it up.

The Russain sub was at the point of a major malfunction, and several of the crew volunteered to go into the area, knowing they were going to die within a couple of days. They are Hero's.

Cold war crap was a tough time to be in the sub service. The guys that were, get my respect.:clap3:

The K-19. Also a modern marvel of Russian engineering failure, as explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-19

Most people don't know about the accidents that have happened stateside, and I don't mean 3MI. It's primarily because of bad reporters with agendas that it's covered out of proportion like it is, with bad facts and claims that every reactor in the world is built exactly the same as frigging Chernobyl.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The K-19. Also a modern marvel of Russian engineering failure, as explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-19

Most people don't know about the accidents that have happened stateside, and I don't mean 3MI. It's primarily because of bad reporters with agendas that it's covered out of proportion like it is, with bad facts and claims that every reactor in the world is built exactly the same as frigging Chernobyl.

yes, as I've stated, Chernobyl was a design flaw in an attempt to keep up with the US.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As you know more than I do about nukular (Bush) power, would you agree with me that a nuclear explosion is not possible in a power plant because the fission materials are not pure enough to sustain the explosive chain reaction of a bomb?

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you know more than I do about nukular (Bush) power, would you agree with me that a nuclear explosion is not possible in a power plant because the fission materials are not pure enough to sustain the explosive chain reaction of a bomb?

Not only is it not possible or unlikely, it is impossible. Entirely impossible.

Just for S&G's, civilian power plant uranium is like 3-5% enriched uranium IIRC from the tour I got in Kansas. The Navy's is a lot higher(I'm not allowed to say how much, if you search das interwebz you may find the true number). The material required for standard atomic/nuclear bombs is not only more enriched, it is also a different brand of the atomic element altogether. The only reason power plant type uranium typically gets lumped in is for its ability to be used in a dirty bomb.

Hope this helps! I may be wrong on some of the second part, but I am right on the first part.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...The only reason power plant type uranium typically gets lumped in is for its ability to be used in a dirty bomb.

Hope this helps! I may be wrong on some of the second part, but I am right on the first part.

Uranium in a breeder reactor reprocess to plutonium through neutron bombardment which is better suited to nuclear weapons. If I remember correctly.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uranium in a breeder reactor reprocess to plutonium through neutron bombardment which is better suited to nuclear weapons. If I remember correctly.

Yes, but it would still require being processed down to a singularly packaged group of the proper material in the proper configuration, with a high explosive detonating device to set it off. Admittedly, I know 95% less about the construction of a nuclear detonation device than I do about nuclear power programs, but the basic requirements are still taught to deter the Nuclear Boy Scouts(Nuclear boy scout) from becoming world villains in their own backyard.

Interestingly enough, I semi-remember being told that there weren't any breeder reactors operating in nuke school, which they apparently didn't say was just in the United States. Japan, Russia, China, and India have operational breeder reactors, and a few other countries are still working on them it seems, with India doing the most work/research. Interesting reading here, flawed or not: wiki/Breeder reactor

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

U238 is one neutron capture and a decay away from being Pu239. The US has only manufactured one Uranium bomb, the one used in Hiroshima. All the rest we ever made are Plutonium.

Japan, Russia, China, and India have operational breeder reactors,
Best I remember, back in the Carter years we adapted a policy against breeders to convince the world to follow our example. At the same time they decided not to use Thorium 232 in commercial plants because they would not be suited for weapons material. China and India are building Thorium reactors.
Thorium is more available than Uranium.

Last edited:

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my point. My post was a response to how the Japanese people handle adversity and I think they will do it better than quite a few other places would or could.

You are right of course.
I read a couple of articles, the Japanese are pulling together helping each other, stores lowering prices, giving essentials free.
Nothing like Katrina. No killings, looting, rapes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom