MAJOR TSUNAMI---Damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is in Japan right now. He called this morning to say he was alright , but we havent had any contact since. Its kind of un-nerving not knowing.

He'll be fine, lines are down, confusion, a lot of time zones between here and there, everybody busier than a one legged man in an a$$ kicking contest. He called you to say he is OK, now he is busy taking care of things, he will be tired etc.
Nothing to worry about.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was the total financial cost of TMI?
I have the congressional report in e-book form on my netbook but it's in the other room and I'm tired.

It indirectly cost the future of the US nuclear power industry, because we allowed the news media and other Leftist groups to brainwash us, to turn in to scared little girls.
Nobody got hurt in our worst nuclear accident, not even close.
Financial cost? No idea, who cares? It takes a special person to keep the congressional report of the total financial cost of the TMI incident in his computer. I am not that special.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The news media love to exaggerate, think of the great disaster of the three mile island.
All the death, the destruction, the devastation, the sick, the poor, the huddled masses, the empty faces, the dead eyes.
I'd better stop it's getting deep.

You talking about TMI or coverage of Katrina???? :D

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It indirectly cost the future of the US nuclear power industry, because we allowed the news media and other Leftist groups to brainwash us, to turn in to scared little girls.
Nobody got hurt in our worst nuclear accident, not even close.
Financial cost? No idea, who cares? It takes a special person to keep the congressional report of the total financial cost of the TMI incident in his computer. I am not that special.

Actually, it's this book:

http://www.archive.org/details/nuclearaccidentr00unitrich

It's a pretty good read if you are interested because they spend quite a bit of time delving into the details of how the plant was constructed and operated.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Incredible:

The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html?hpt=T1

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any numbers and it is too early to say much. My gut feeling is that the two WWII firecrackers were a bigger deal. Tens of thousands were killed and the devastation especially in Hiroshima was large.
I personally have a lot of faith in the Japanese people, a lot of things will not be perfect but overall they will handle it with grace.

That was my point. My post was a reponse to how the Japanese people handle adversity and I think they will do it better than quite a few other places would or could.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I lived in Misawa for 4 years and been through several earthquakes there; but 8.9 is serious + the tsunami is bad. I saw a video of small ships getting carried inland......not good.

I was in Misawa from 81 to 83. I remember being in several quakes, but a 7.3 or 7.7 quake is the one I remember! It was a neat base; everyone liked to complain about it when I was there, but looking back I think it was pretty cool. I was age 10-12 at the time.

Thanks,

Alan

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am all for nuclear power, but why would anyone build one in an earthquake prone area?

Rick, this one got me. If I had had a mouthful of anything, I would have spit it out. Even though I know you're being serious.

In the meantime we'll keep working on that anti-gravity engine to prevent this possibility :D.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Incredible:

The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html?hpt=T1
From your article:
The quake occurred as the Earth's crust ruptured along an area about 250 miles (400 kilometers) long by 100 miles (160 kilometers) wide, as tectonic plates slipped more than 18 meters, said Shengzao Chen, a USGS geophysicist.
I heard yesterday the the earth's crust ruptured and it left a gash 150 miles long and 50 wide in the ocean floor. Utterly amazing...

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From your article:

I heard yesterday the the earth's crust ruptured and it left a gash 150 miles long and 50 wide in the ocean floor. Utterly amazing...
The pacific plate normally moves about 4 inches per year, so this one earthquake equals about 24 years of normal tectonic drift in a moment.
Admittedly, it's a historic earthquake but I'm still impressed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom