Marlin 1895G 45/70 Guide Gun interest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know where these may be instock at. I've got a hankerin for a guide gun and don't want to cut down any of the Levers I currently own. That and I'll probably be selling the 700 to offset the cost of this purchase.

Also if you have one of these what are your likes or dislikes.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gene Sears in El Reno may have one. When I purchased mine, they had both the 1895 and the 1895G. I chose the 1895 because I don't mind 3 inches more of barrel and I didn't want the ear ringing porting.

torque

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I love mine. No complaints here. They are no longer ported. Get a Limb Saver
recoil pad and reload for it so you don't have to settle on Trapdoor loads or pay the price for custom ammo.
ai155.photobucket.com_albums_s297_torque60_hunting07002Small.jpg

Matt N.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are still a lot of the new ported ones arround, and they are dang loud. I have shot the same load in both ported and unported rifles. IMO on those rifles the porting is a waste, it makes them too loud and they don't kick that hard anyway. Just 2 weeks ago a guy ate the range tried to trade me his brand new .450 marlin guide gun (ported) for my old 1970's model scratched up marlin 1895 45/70 (straight stock, no crossbolt safety), straight across trade. He had owned the .450 one day, this was his first time to shoot it. I said no way.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to reconsider ports. But first things first I need to get one in my hands to sell me on the gun. Then start the money saving part.