MArlin 336 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at trading a H&R 243 youth for a Marlin 336. I have been informed to stay away from the "Micro groove" rifling that Marlin started doing in 1953. My question is this: Are present day Marlins still using this type of rifling, and if not, when did they stop, and how can I tell? Thanks guys

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I have gathered on this topic.

Microgroove barrel is just fine.

the different rifling was put in the pistol caliber carbines to ease in the shooting of cast lead bullets. anything bought off the shelf in .30-30 will be some variation of a metal jacket.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still kick my self for getting rid of mine. I don't think there is anything wrong with the micro groove, mine was the best shooting 30-30 I ever had. I bought it new and made sure I went through good barrel break in procedure. I loaded Hornady 150gr Interlocks and did really well at the silhouette shoots.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't sweat the micro groove rifling. There are only a few million out there with the micro groove. If you shoot any cast bullets you will want to watch your velocity, too fast and it can cause accuracy issues. But a lot of folks have good luck with them anyway. Probably nothing to worry about as most people shoot jacketed in that caliber. It was actually designed for better velocities with jacketed bullets from what I remember.

Gator

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie dokie!!! Thanks everyone. I think this is pretty much a done deal. I REALLY want her/them to shoot something with a little more OOOMPH than a .243

Gator

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and PICS ARE MANDATORY.

Your status will be changed to "Liar and Tease" if you fail to provide pictures.

LMAO!!!! It will be a couple of weeks. I am headed to Florida tomorrow, and won't be back till next week. Then I got figure out how to make the trade, my bud lives in Idabel

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Marlin Micro Groove rifling works great with jacketed bullets, but not cast, I had lead fouling and accuracy problems after 2 or 3 shots.

My Marlins with Ballard cut rifling (not 30-30) shoot jacketed and cast equally well with no fouling or accuracy problems.

Unless you are wanting to reload cast bullets I wouldn't worry about it, but to answer your question Micro Groove rifling is alot of very fine grooves cut in the barrel with no defined lands and Ballard cut rifling is very defined lands and deep grooves cut on the inside of the barrel.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Marlin Micro Groove rifling works great with jacketed bullets, but not cast, I had lead fouling and accuracy problems after 2 or 3 shots.

My Marlins with Ballard cut rifling (not 30-30) shoot jacketed and cast equally well with no fouling or accuracy problems.

Unless you are wanting to reload cast bullets I wouldn't worry about it, but to answer your question Micro Groove rifling is alot of very fine grooves cut in the barrel with no defined lands and Ballard cut rifling is very defined lands and deep grooves cut on the inside of the barrel.

Chas the main problem with cast bullets in mirco groove barrels is that the bullets do not fit the bore properly. With proper fitting bullets I have launched them at 1800 fps from my 336 with no leading. Check out these sites there is a ton of info on the subject.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

Pat