MArlin 336 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Marlin Micro Groove rifling works great with jacketed bullets, but not cast, I had lead fouling and accuracy problems after 2 or 3 shots.

My Marlins with Ballard cut rifling (not 30-30) shoot jacketed and cast equally well with no fouling or accuracy problems.

Unless you are wanting to reload cast bullets I wouldn't worry about it, but to answer your question Micro Groove rifling is alot of very fine grooves cut in the barrel with no defined lands and Ballard cut rifling is very defined lands and deep grooves cut on the inside of the barrel.

That dog don't hunt and I sure wish people would stop repeating anecdotes as fact. Maybe you couldn't figure it out but the blanket statement that Micro-groove barrels won't shoot cast is false.

I shoot cast bullets exclusively out of my microgroove barrel Marlins. I've pushed plain based .357 mag to over 1700 FPS out of my 1984C and have run GC bullets to 2100fps out of my 336 in .30-30 with no leading.