Marlin 917v

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just bought one. Anything I should know about it? Is there any way to tune the trigger? Anybody have one? Like it? Hate it? Love it?

I will mostly be shooting prairie dogs in KS with it and the occasional bird or varmint. I know how accurate they can be. Hit me with some info.

Thanks
WD

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one with a burris 3x9 and it is a blast for varmints, very accurate, the mag system is a little cheesey but not to bad. well worth the asking price.
Its not as nice as my dads Anschutz 1517 17 HMR but its about a third the price.

Dustin

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered a thumbhole stock last night. Mine has the plain Jane wood stock and im not a big fan of it. I'll post a picture when it's put together

is it walnut? I'm looking for some guiney pigs to do some checkering on. If you're interested, I'd like to give it a go... who knows, maybe we could make it look a little better (or insanely worse!).

As for trying to tune the trigger, pull it apart and polish the internals, that will make a HUGE difference. Make sure to test your trigger pull before, then after so you know how much of a difference you made. When you're ready to reassymble, I would use a dry powder moly lubricant on all the internals... it's SUPER slick and because it's dry, it doesn't tend to collect as much crap and debrise.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 917 VST. They're awesome guns. Insane accuracy out of the box. You'll be surprised by the power behind them. It's definitely not a .22. My only concern is the range you'll be shooting prairie dogs from. 200 yards will probably be your absolute maximum range. After that, you've got so many variables that it's even worth taking the shot.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot them close to 300 before with a 17. It was pure luck and took several shots but man it was fun.

I am not sure what kind of wood the factory stock is. I would let you try it although I wouldn't have any use for it. I would rather just sell it to you and then you could resale it. Shoot me a pm and we can work something out.

I bought my replacement stock off of eBay from a guy in Detroit. Supposed to be here in a few days so I'll post a picture when I get it and if I recommend it or not.

Thanks for the reply on the trigger. The trigger is ok now but every little bit helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom