Masonic Temple in Guthrie, large pictures included

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More power to them. It seems that anymore only a few build bldgs to stand the test of time. I can only think of the Mason's and the Mormon Temples. Both are generally true works of art. I think the skills to build true monuments are slowly fading away to the point nothing newly built will last more than 50yrs Truly sad.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of you young men need to go down to lodge and inquire about membership.You have to approach them. The Masons can't ask you to join the old farts club, that's against their rules.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, those people must have a LOT of money.
One of the stained glass windows has the image of an OKC businessman named Classen, the same as the name of the office building and Classen avenue.
He must have donated millions.

Most of the money came from bonds they sold during the 30's to raise money for completions and furnishing of the building.

Some of you young men need to go down to lodge and inquire about membership.You have to approach them. The Masons can't ask you to join the old farts club, that's against their rules.
Stateline on OETA had a special about the Masons, Oddfellows, and Knights of Columbus.
Guys used to join back in the 30's 40's and 50's cause there wasn't any tv or other diversions and it was something for the guys to do.
The last few decades membership has waned but picked up just slightly the last few years as the younger guys join because they like the tradition of belonging to something older than them.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool building. I have lived in Guthrie for 9 years and worked here for a few more but never took the time to take the tour. I got to do it now! That place is beautiful.

How does a guy go about finding more information on the organization and joining the masons?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an awesome place. The one in McAlester is nice too. The one in Tulsa was way too "corporate."

You are referring to the Scottish Rite temples? The one in Tulsa off 41st and I-44 was sold and now they reside in a strip mall at 51st and Mingo.

Aside from the 3 Scottish Rite buildings, there are more Masonic temples scattered all over the state, with multiple buildings in some towns. There are also three Shrines (as the Shriners are a Masonic organization).

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are referring to the Scottish Rite temples? The one in Tulsa off 41st and I-44 was sold and now they reside in a strip mall at 51st and Mingo.

Aside from the 3 Scottish Rite buildings, there are more Masonic temples scattered all over the state, with multiple buildings in some towns. There are also three Shrines (as the Shriners are a Masonic organization).

I believe the Tulsa one was hurting for money pretty bad. Friend of mine bought the building for pennies on the dollar.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ignerntbend said:

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes, and that sucks they are in a strip mall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom