Maverick 88 12 gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner05

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to concur with Raoul Duke. While the 88 is a good starter shotgun, in my opinion nothing compares to the hardiness and reliability of the 500 & 590 models. That's the ones we bet our life on in the military.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I would have to concur with Raoul Duke. While the 88 is a good starter shotgun, in my opinion nothing compares to the hardiness and reliability of the 500 & 590 models. That's the ones we bet our life on in the military.

If cost is no object the 590 would be my first choice. The moral of the story is you get what you pay for(unless you're buying a KSG, they are overpriced junk)

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 88 kicks like a Jersey mule because it is sooooo light weight. I shot some 3" turkey loads in one and learned NEVER do that again. I only shoot 2 3/4" loads in it. Get a better gun like an Remington Express. its heavier but it absorbs the recoil because of its weight.

bmxr4life87

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive put about 500 rounds through mine mainly target load for shooting skeet but also some slugs and 00buck. Mine has never skipped a beat even when doing mag dumps at unsuspecting pumpkins. I wish i had an 870 or 590 but i wouldnt think twice about grabbing my 88 and taking into the woods/combat/ insert various scenario here

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Maverick 88 IS a 500... It's just a budget version, made from parts that are made CHEAPER in Mexico to the SAME standard that the US parts are made.

Latest posts

Top Bottom