Max-9 vs GX4 vs Shield vs P365 vs Apex A1 Carry vs MC2C vs Masada Slim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm in the market for a new pistol for carry while at my new job. My criteria are as follows: Small enough to ankle carry, at least .380 caliber, optics ready and in the $500 or less range. I've narrowed my options to: the Sig p365, Taurus GX4, Ruger Max-9, S&W Shield Plus (both 9mm and 30SC), IWI Masada Slim, the Mossberg MC2C and the Beretta APX A1 Carry. I'm looking for feedback from people who have owned one of more of these guns, or from people who may have another suggestion.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried the ankle carry idea a few times, and the only one that worked for me was a Kahr CT-380. Since I don't bend as well as I used to, I gave up on that idea. Still like the CT-380, but it rides in my pocket most of the time now.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned and carried the Shield Plus, Max 9 and the Glock 43X. Of those three the 43X was far and away the best choice for me. Best trigger, best sights, thinnest and easiest to carry. The OEM mags don't have the capacity of the others...but a few Shield 15 round mags made up for that. I still carry the OEM mags in the 43X but the Shield mags work fine.

I sold the MAX 9 and Shield Plus to an OSA member.

There's no way in the world I could carry any of those three in an ankle rig.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W 340PD. Only real choice in my opinion, for ankle.

The Smith and Wesson 340PD is no ordinary J-Frame revolver, it is the lightest weight . 357 Magnum revolver on the planet. This is accomplished by using a scandium alloy frame and titanium cylinder. Scandium is stronger and lighter than aluminum, and titanium is a lightweight alternative to steel.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Out of all those you listed I would probably try the 365 but IMO they are all too big for ankle carry.

If you need deep concealment and an optic you might try appendix carry.

Good luck finding what works for you.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, seems I need to be looking at small revolvers then... thanks for all the advice!
I'm not married to ankle carry. I guess I could pocket carry. Just started a new job and have never really had to dress business casual for work before. Ankle carry just seemed like the best option

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Ankle carry has been the best method for me and also Smart Carry in the crotch area for when discovering you’re armed means job termination and possible prosecution. A S&W 340 works pretty well for both. The Wilderness ankle holster works well for me.

Pocket carry with a Mika pocket holster also works well for a J frame. I’ve found most semi auto’s don’t come out of the pocket as smoothly as a j frame. I have a 365 and I have pocket carried it some. For me, it’s just too heavy and too slow out of the pocket for that. If it doesn’t matter that people know you carry at work I might go with a tuckable appendix carry rig with one of the pistols you mentioned. I really like the Cornerstone by Keeper’s Concealment for that. It’s very concealable but the clips may show depending on how you move. Just a few options to consider. Bottom line is you have to find what works best for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom