me and my lil SW 39-2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned a couple of these over the years and traded out of them.

One of them would feed and eject with out a flaw... and sprayed lead like buck shot.... the other drove tacks and was plauged with the classic ejection problems the 39-2 was know for.

I stumbled into a nearly new in the box 39-2 for a bargain price a couple of years ago. Nice as it was I decide to break it in and see if it would make a carry gun.

Using 115 grain ball from all the major brands, I found ejection was hit and miss- plus those fatal "double feeds" would occur on a regular basis. I cannot recall ever trying any 124 grain loads... I was at the point of trading this gun off as a collectors item and calling it good.

Cleaning out my ammo locker, I came across some 147grain Winchester Hollow point (the white box version).... low and behold, this round runs like grease through a goose.

I have heard a rumor over the years that the Illinois State Police figured out the correct ramp angle for heavy loads back when the 39 was their issued pistol. Maybe mine was built with that spec?... any way I am looking forward to further testing.

It will be nice to carry a lighter handgun (that's already paid for)

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the 59 so the 39 is appealing to me. I have a 5906 and since it was essentially the 39 with all the issues straightened out, I suppose I'll just stay with it.

But the old 39s sure are classy!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Smith & Wesson model 39 and 59 were 2nd only to the 1911 for police officer use back in the mid 80's when cops were shucking their wheel guns for bottom feeders.

Then the plastic pistol emerged.

Things haven't been the same since. :rolleyes2

Latest posts

Top Bottom