Meanwhile in my neck of the woods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockedandLoaded

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
http://www.news-leader.com/article/...006/Man-accidentally-shoots-himself-gun-class

The Douglas County Sheriff is investigating the death of a man who accidentally shot himself while taking a class to obtain a permit to carry a concealed gun.

Glenn Seymour was 63. He worked as a part-time dispatcher in Mountain Grove, said Douglas County Sheriff Chris Degase.

“It was an accident,” said Degase. “It was a tragic event.”

Degase said Seymour was one of multiple students taking the class at the Shooting Iron, a facility located about a mile north of Vanzant when the accident occurred Saturday afternoon.

Degase said in interviewing witnesses, he determined Seymour, who was familiar with a revolver, told others that his revolver was having trouble, so he switched to a Browning semi-automatic 9 mm weapon.

Students were working on an exercise where they pull their concealed weapon with their non-dominant hand, take the safety off, aim and shoot.

Degase said that on the gun Seymour was using, the thumb of the right hand would normally manipulate the safety.

It appeared to him that during the exercise Seymour was manipulating the safety with his left index finger, which got the gun turned around facing Seymour. One round hit him in the chest, Degase said.

“Initially the call came in that the gun had been dropped and went off, but the trajectory of the bullet did not match up,” said the Sheriff.

Degase said that in order to teach a Conceal and Carry class an instructor must pass either an instructor’s course offered by the National Rifle Association, or a law enforcement instructor course. Lesson plans must be approved by him.

Degase said the instructor has been teaching the class for some time.

“We’re going to go over the lesson plan, to be sure this doesn’t happen again,” said Degase.

“I think prior to having them shoot left-handed, they probably should have spent more time on left hand manipulation prior to going live fire,” said Degase.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Left hand shooting? Seriously??! It's a CCW course not a tactical hand gun course.

I say leave the basics to the CCW course and the rest up to the individual and their course of continued training - should they choose to do so.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats sure not what happened during my class. We just layed them on the bench, pointed down range, picked them up, made ready, and fired.

Ditto, no holster no draw. The class is intended to deliver the relevant statutes and demonstrate basic gun safety.

I suspect an instructor may lose a license over this one.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not good...

do we know if this was just a basic CCW class for sure? sounds like more going on than just what we require here in OK

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if it wasn't an advanced class, like above the class I attended we laid our weapons on a table always pointing at the targets. Don't understand why the safety was on in the first place, Assuming it was a Hi-Power and you think you will have to use your weak hand, carry it with the hammer down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom