Mental illness... a common public danger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Paranoid? How so? I was just pointing out that in a short jaunt downtown I saw multiple people who were obviously mentally disturbed in some way and were acting out in a manner that could have been threatening. Much like Ridge's experience in Denver, if you try to go about your business, someone like that can be set off by looking at them, by NOT looking at them, by walking too close, by skirting around them, or by crossing the street to avoid them. There is no right answer in how to deal with them. I wasn't afraid, I was simply cautious. Thought I'd share the experience. I know it's widespread, especially the larger the city. And for that I get accused of stereotyping homeless people and the mentally ill. lol

Pretty funny, really.

I was just joking doc. Most of those people are harmless. Now the guy in your driveway the other day might be nefarious.

I wouldn't post about my excess of stereo equip on the web if I was that worried, but I never felt the need to bump. Do you pull up to 7/11 and roll down the widows with it cranking while you go in?

Just kidding with you bro, I know you have QT up there.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's fine. I'm not an overly-paranoid person... I live my life and try to be cautious. That's all. I know more than a lot of folks how quickly and violently mentally ill folks can go berserk. Just a thread to raise some awareness and stimulate conversation...

Seriously, wth do you think can be done in today's society to help these people and make society safer as a whole? Realistically? Today's political climate makes meaningful change/reform difficult at best and impossible at worst...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously, wth do you think can be done in today's society to help these people and make society safer as a whole? Realistically? .

That is the entire conundrum this country faces.

I guess we need to look at see what other countries have done and if any of them have been successful. Do they sweep them up as they appear and institutionalize them, or do they have programs we haven't tried?
Don't know personally, never looked at it this way but we need to do something it looks like.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with treating these people is you would have to do it by force, at least for a lot of them. Driving around and picking them up while doing nothing technically illegal, but obviously crazy and locking them up, the one's that want or will accept help can do it on their own. Who wants to pay for this, build the facilities, pay for equipment, medical staff, security, medicine, supplies, food and bills etc, who will oversee & regulate them? I also doubt that there is a surplus of Doctors, Nurses, other licensed medical personnel waiting and willing to work or treat these people for lower end side of wages. You would probably end up seeing a bunch of over budget facilities with under qualified staff treating patients at sub standard levels.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with treating these people is you would have to do it by force, at least for a lot of them. Driving around and picking them up while doing nothing technically illegal, but obviously crazy and locking them up, the one's that want or will accept help can do it on their own. Who wants to pay for this, build the facilities, pay for equipment, medical staff, security, medicine, supplies, food and bills etc, who will oversee & regulate them? I also doubt that there is a surplus of Doctors, Nurses, other licensed medical personnel waiting and willing to work or treat these people for lower end side of wages. You would probably end up seeing a bunch of over budget facilities with under qualified staff treating patients at sub standard levels.

Well you certainly can't force a person to accept improving their quality of life. Well, the liberal do-gooders think you can, but that's a whole other discussion.

It should be reserved for those who are being jailed for violence, who really aren't competent to stand trial.

Latest posts

Top Bottom