• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Metal working lathe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Harbor Freight 12x26 Quick change tool holder , 3&4 jaw chuck, Metic & US threads, Have the manual for lathe,much tooling. Have threaded center fire barrels on both ends, 7 mag etc. $2000.00 very heavy

Last edited:

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I would like to lathe as my new hobby. I tried a (questionable) harbor freight lathe and the damn thing isn’t centered at all. I’m looking for anything better than that, the more tooling the better, want to learn threading and possibly have enough chuck to mess around with cutting/threading some spare AR barrels I have laying around.

Thanks for looking

Edit: I’ve now realized I am poor and may need to seek a little harder than a wanted ad. Still open to offers
Centers are adjustable.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My HF lathe came with an upgraded 4” chuck and looks like it’s been upgraded to steel gears, should I just look into centering the chuck before I chuck it? Is there any serious potential with this thing?
There are a couple of Mini-lathe groups at groups.io if you would like to learn what can be done with a 7x Mini-lathe. My first lathe was an HF 7x10. Had a lot of problems with it that turned out to be operator error. If you clean it up and check/adjust the lathe properly, and use correct technique, you can easily get .001" accuracy. Tool it up a bit, good measuring tools, a 4-jaw chuck or collet chuck, and you can get better than that. Most of the tooling can be transfered to the 10" or 12" Atlas/Craftsman or 9" South Bend lathes. There are groups for them at group.io, as well.

About ten years or so ago, there was one US-made lathe similar in size and capabilities to the HF 7x Mini-lathes. It went for about $10k then. The modern version of the South Bend Heavy 10L lathe is also about $10k from Grizzly.com and they don't have the accessories the original SB Heavy 10L lathes came with. For the money, the HF minis are pretty hard to beat. Though I'd go for their 7x12 over their 7x10, and if you can catch them on sale, Micromark has a pretty good 7x16 Mini-lathe. They're lots easier to find than a good Atlas/Craftsman or South Bend lathe, though if you look hard enough... :)

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream machine is a monarch 10ee. In case I win the lottery or some other winfall
I spent enough on my college education to become a teacher that I could have ordered one from the factory...

Yep. My dream lathe too. Though what I have now is an Atlas TH42, vintage 1946 or so, that runs pretty well and works fine with most of my Mini-lathe accessories, and four other lathes in various states of restoration from a couple Unimat to a vintage 1941 SB Heavy 10L. I'm not an addict! I can quit any time! :)

Couple of table-top mills, too.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don’t know anything about lathes or have ever used one, but a website I visit has a great deal of info on multiple subjects, including reloading , varmint hunting, metallurgy, etc. etc. has a page dedicated to mini lathe and tools for lathes. Some of you that are into that hobby might find some useful information.

I have enjoyed this website over the years.

Here is the link to the mini-lathe info page: Varmint Al's Mini Lathe Page

Latest posts

Top Bottom