• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Metal working lathe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   1
i'm really glad to read that actually lol because that's kinda what i've always thought.

with hard woods, you're going to be resharpening anyway. it's just less times. i don't turn that often, so i'll save my money.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
As a side note, there are woodworking tools out now that are using carbide inserts just like the metal working lathes and they aren't expensive to buy. The inserts can be a tad pricey, but they last forever sharp wise. They can be resharpened with a special green stone on a grinder after tons of use.
The carbide insert technology has been around for fifty years or much longer but it's just working its way into wood working tools.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
yep, as a woodworker, i got almost all of my REAL tools from estate/garage sales. my current wood lathe is indeed my greenie shopsmith, but it turns what i need it to. and it's also about five other tools when i need it to be.

there's not really "entry level" stuff like the chinesium products you mentioned. for anything anymore.
I had a Shopsmith once. I could not get the precision I needed out of it and sold it to my neighbor.
He loved it. I hated it.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   1
the way i get precision is cut proud, hand fit.

any tool basically works for me at that point, if it gets the job done efficiently.

and yeah, i only use for it a few of the many functions because something tells me i wouldn't want to use the table saw or bandsaw versus a modern one. but that chuck spinning runs true and the lathe shaft too.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I don't think you can get a decent lathe new for less than about $2500. Then add about half as much or more for tooling. Precision Matthews and Grizzly have pretty good machines for the money. Most of the smaller lathes won't have a spindle bore over one inch and most won't have a powered cross feed. Almost all of them are made in China or Taiwan. A lathe is like buying an air compressor or shop, get one bigger than you think you need so you won't regret it later. Shop around and find a deal where most of the big-ticket accessories are included like extra chucks or quick-change tool post and tool holders. If you order a new one be prepared to wait on it. If you really shop around, you can find a good used one with tooling at a good price. I've got a 11x 30 and recently had a project where I could use a little longer bed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom