Milsurp rifle stocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a very interesting site. I have used some of his product on a Russian captured 98 Mauser with results that were very pleasing.

http://thegunstockdoctor.com/contact_us.html

I certainly agree that we could use a milsurp section. Here's a site which has several milsurp forums that has been around a long time:

http://forums.gunboards.com/

That site is national in coverage, but I think an Oklahoma forum would be of great benefit. CB

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have bought dozens of CMP Garands (and a couple Carbines, M1903s, and 03A3s) and cleaned up the stocks on the vast majority of them.

Some of them got the Murphy's Oil cleaning. Some of the really dirty (and dented) ones were put into the dishwasher.

After the cleaning, they got a light sanding, then re-oiled with Boiled Linseed Oil.

Any cartouches that went through the dishwasher were preserved by putting a piece of duct tape over them (yes, it does work -- the impression stays the same and the surface oil isn't removed).

I've never seen any ill effects of either the Murphy's Oil cleaning, or the dishwasher method (for the really ugly and dinged up stocks), so long as you don't let them go through the drying cycle (guaranteed to warp your stock!)

Like has been posted, I think you guys are vastly over estimating the 'collector value' of these milsurps, and what 'value' might be decreased by cleaning up the wood stocks.

If you had an unissued rifle or something like a CMP Collector Grade rifle, then I would recommend just leaving the stock as is. Outside of those, you're not going to change the resale value in any way by cleaning the stock, even using an 'extreme' method like the dishwasher.

As a postscript, I've tried the Easy Off method, too. While it is very effective, I have had one or two stocks become damaged in the process. The wood was never the same afterward, so I've stopped using this method.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's one that was "ruined" by cleaning and re-oiling.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v450_Hacker15E_winnie1.jpg

All three of these had their collector value 'ruined', too.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v450_Hacker15E_DSC_0698x.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom