Milsurp rifle stocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the others - leave it alone, or at most treat it with boiled linseed oil or pure tung oil (not tung oil finish, which is a mixture of tung oil and other stuff). Linseed oil is what the US military used during the early days of WW2, and pure tung oil is what they used during the later part of, and just after, WW2 on their rifle stocks. You can cut the BLO or tung oil with a mild solvent (I use citrus solvent) to help the oil penetrate into the wood and to help speed the drying time.

Going off what my grandfather told me who fought in the Aleutians.
You cut the linseed with a quarter turpentine
What that means basically is, for 1 cup total. 3/4 Linseed, 1/4 turpentine.
Other than to aid drying, I can't remember off the top of my head for having any other benefits, since that was many years ago.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On another site I read that the oil finish was busy work for the army in the 20's and 30's.Issue a man a gun and a can of blo or tung oil and tell him to keep it oiled weekly, then gig him for too must/too little oil, dust on the oil . It why most pre WW2 gun stocks are so dark brown,they were oiled weekly for about 20 years till the army had something else to do.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v322_ghpdwagon5_100_8071.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v714_corranq_garand015.jpg

I had my rack grade Garand recrowned, refinished, and blued (yes blued not parked). It became a beautiful rifle and shoots incredible groups. Did I hurt the value? I seriously doubt it. Yes I had a pro do it, and it's not something I would do myself, but I don't regret doing it in the least.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the thing about "hurting the value". If you have a $10,000 One of One Thousand Winchester rifle and you refinish it, the value will drop, probably considerably.

On the other hand, if you have an $800 M1 of no consequential collectors value, and you refinish it, it may go down a little in value or, given the right buyer, it might go up a little in value. If it happens to be a "collectible", it will probably go down in value.

If you have a run-of-the-mill Mosin 91/30 worth $100 and you refinish it, no one cares and it may go up in value, but only a modest amount.

flatwins, your stated ideas on your three rifles is right on in my opinion. Play with that Turk. It's a good learning tool.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I will say the same I always do, if you have a collector grade piece, and you want it as a collector, best not to refinish. But if not, and you want a rifle with a high gloss finish, or whatever finish you please. Do it. It's your gun.

Excellent example:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v322_ghpdwagon5_100_8071.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v714_corranq_garand015.jpg

I had my rack grade Garand recrowned, refinished, and blued (yes blued not parked). It became a beautiful rifle and shoots incredible groups. Did I hurt the value? I seriously doubt it. Yes I had a pro do it, and it's not something I would do myself, but I don't regret doing it in the least.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Biggest trick I have run into was finding the RIGHT finish for a rifle! I have done a couple of Mausers and they turned out to be real nice BUT they were not worth a whole mess from the get go. I have a little Winchester 67 and was about to refinish it but was told to leave it alone! I have a little M1 Carbine Universal that I'd like to refinish since it will never really be worth much and I can figure out the correct finish used I may redo it. Long story short if you have a rifle of collector grade it should have a pretty nice finish already but to keep the value I'd not refinish and just enjoy it as is. Later,

Kirk

keeper7011

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're talking a Mosin, unless it's a truly rare one, have at it. Once again, don't sand it. But, strip the shellac and re-do it to your heart's content. If you then don't like it, re-strip it. Denatured Alcohol takes shellac off easily.

You should enjoy your rifles. Just don't be foolish if you have a valued one.

WE NEED A MILSURP SECTION.

Amen to the Milsurp Section

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a request for a Milsurps section in the Suggestion Box, but it was deleted. Kazillions of milsurps but no forum section.

Latest posts

Top Bottom