MMMMM-kay ... All you guys with neck injuries I need some advice --

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like there could be some tension involved there too. If I am trying to concentrate really hard on posture et al, I tend to get really rigid which puts a lot of tension directly in my neck.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy I work with walk around with a TENS unit hooked up to his back. He had a bad landing jumping out of a helicopter doing drug intervention in South America. When his pain flares up he just turns it on.
Have you tried the TENS unit while you shoot? It's got to be muscle related, holding the gun is surely putting a strain on an injured muscle or tendon.

Also, does ice work?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See if dry firing makes your pain act up. It would eliminate the recoil from the equation. Make a spot on the wall and aim at it just like you would a target at the range. Could be after a few rounds you find it is the tension built up after so many rounds is making your neck sore not the actual act of firing a gun.

As for firearms I can shoot my 10-22 all day and actually have fun. Goes double for my 1911 style .22.

I agree with trying the dry firing thing.

You may need to use some type of rest to take the strain off your muscles.

Maybe you are tensing up too much. You might try to concentrate on relaxing a bit.

Good luck!

K ... I really haven't dry-fired much at all (like not at all). I'll do some testing and get back with ya! Thanks, cuz that didn't cross my mind as a way to narrow down my problems further.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some shoulder and neck strengthening exercises might help as well.

Maybe, but right now every single solitary thing I do to try to stregthen those muscles sets off massive headaches. I did have an occipital nerve block done recently that has at least helped me be able to determine what headaches are caused by my lower neck and shoulders and what are caused by whatever is going on up higher. It's the up higher headaches that seem to be absolutely irretractable no matter what I try -- they just go from Level I (Oh God please let me die to Level II (OH GOD, WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE KILL ME). This block has been the only thing that's bought me any relief from those. Hopefully I'm a candidate for a permanent occipital stimulator. Time will tell though, as we still have some more testing to do. That's part of why I'm trying to start shooting again. The doctor wants me to live a life as close to what is normal for me for a month and then we'll talk more.

Sounds like there could be some tension involved there too. If I am trying to concentrate really hard on posture et al, I tend to get really rigid which puts a lot of tension directly in my neck.

Hmmmm ... and I thought it was my big boobs ... LOL Who knew I was just concentrating hard?? :)

A guy I work with walk around with a TENS unit hooked up to his back. He had a bad landing jumping out of a helicopter doing drug intervention in South America. When his pain flares up he just turns it on.
Have you tried the TENS unit while you shoot? It's got to be muscle related, holding the gun is surely putting a strain on an injured muscle or tendon.

Also, does ice work?

LOL, yea, I did try shooting while I had my TENS on! It was hysterical. Maybe because my problems are with my head, neck and shoulders, but it's impossible to shoot and have your TENS on at the same time. I was at a match out at SWAT-T's place and we laughed our behinds off. It was hysterical to watch!

Yes, if I put an ice pack on the back of my head it does help. If it is down lower on my neck and shoulders, no.

What kind of Chiropractor did you see? I would highly recommend a Gonstead practitioner. www.drdoan.com

Nope, ain't happening.

Everytime somebody (chiropractor, massage therapist, GC just touching me up high on my neck or me combing my own hair, even me just doing the eye exercises in Mike Seeklander's book) sets off massive headaches. I don't know that I can even explain just how bad they are. Pain meds don't touch them, alcohol doesn't touch them (no, I'm not gonna try them together :nolike:). I'd like to see if pot would help them :) but given my current occupation (and besides I really don't think that would help either) that's a no-go! :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

OK, guys ... thanks for the suggestions. I knew I could count on ya'll. We are off to shoot my 40 rounds and then get dinner. I'll do the dry fire thing this week and see how that goes. Maybe I just need to suck it up and go with it. Couldn't get any worse, lol, huh?? :bigeye:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about Yoga or some other type of exercise that puts an emphasis on stretching and flexibility? Start slow and see if it helps after a few weeks or so.

I've thought about yoga. I've got a DVD around here ... can't hurt ... Oh, and GC said telling me to go slow is like ... well ... like, never mind ... Yeah, I got your "nevermind". I know somebody whose cooking dinner for ME now! LOL ;)

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Think you may be tensing up your shoulders while shooting plus dropping your head to line up the sights. I know this is going to be a PITA, but see if raising the pistol up to you line of sight instead of dropping you head, helps.

Rifle shooting is a bit tougher to mend, I hurt my shoulder/neck in '03 and I still get stiff shooting a long gun.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you not got the injury fixed? I had a disc in my neck blow out in three directions. I now have an artificial disc and shooting doesn't bother it. If you would like to contact my doctor his name is Dr. Michael Hahn. He is out of the neuroscience center at mercy. Maybe he can help you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom