MMMMM-kay ... All you guys with neck injuries I need some advice --

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think you may be tensing up your shoulders while shooting plus dropping your head to line up the sights. I know this is going to be a PITA, but see if raising the pistol up to you line of sight instead of dropping you head, helps.

Rifle shooting is a bit tougher to mend, I hurt my shoulder/neck in '03 and I still get stiff shooting a long gun.

Hmmm ... OK, you are right about me pulling my shoulders up and dropping my head. Just habit from shooting on the move. I'll give that a try. Thanks

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you not got the injury fixed? I had a disc in my neck blow out in three directions. I now have an artificial disc and shooting doesn't bother it. If you would like to contact my doctor his name is Dr. Michael Hahn. He is out of the neuroscience center at mercy. Maybe he can help you.

Nope, I'm not a candidate for surgery. According to my current neuro I have so many problems all up and down my neck that "no doctor in his right mind" would cut on me. :bigeye: Never thought I'd be sorry to hear that surgery wouldn't help me but there it is. Do you mind me asking which vertebrae your replaced disc is betweenl?

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm ... OK, you are right about me pulling my shoulders up and dropping my head. Just habit from shooting on the move. I'll give that a try. Thanks
Another thing you might try is using a pistol with a laser sight and try shooting without even using the sights. That might help narrowing the problem down. If you don't have one, give a yell. I have a couple of 1911's, a Ruger Mark III hunter, and a Glock .40 cal. I would be glad to meet you at the range and let you try any or all of them.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, I'm not a candidate for surgery. According to my current neuro I have so many problems all up and down my neck that "no doctor in his right mind" would cut on me. :bigeye: Never thought I'd be sorry to hear that surgery wouldn't help me but there it is. Do you mind me asking which vertebrae your replaced disc is betweenl?

If I remember correctly it was c4. If you you want, it wouldn't hurt to talk to him. He's done two surgeries on my neck and lower back. Honest and straight forward guy. If he can't do anything you are no worse than you are now, but who knows...maybe he's not "in his right mind" and know of a way he can help you. My disc blew out from mma and now I feel great, only gets stiff every once and a while (talking about my neck guys)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it might be a little bit of both, but I have noticed that road vibration REALLY sets me off, so I'm thinking it's more of a recoil issue.

I can tell you when my back is out I don't even want to pick up a roll of toilet paper and hold it straight out at arms length. Seriously... But it's my lower back that I have to watch.

Still, if I could figure out a way to shoot regularly I might be able to build my shoulder and arm muscles back up. I can still just barely rack the slide on my Glock though!! :) Two years of no shooting makes one a weaky ... I miss my muscles.

I wonder if there isn't something to this.

BadgeBunny said:
Hmmmm ... and I thought it was my big boobs ... LOL Who knew I was just concentrating hard?? :)

Maybe something here too. I used to work with a gal that had reduction surgery. She said it helped her back immensely. And tell GC that yes, she was still very well figured afterward and there were very little to no scars. I could have probably seen 1st hand if I wanted. Her and her sisters were just a hoot. Especially the sisters!

I got a Buckmark that your welcome to anytime you want it. I've been shooting my .22 revo lately so the Buckmark ain't getting much, okay any..use. You are welcome to it and shoot it all you want.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surgery. Worked great for me. Dr. Kevin Kelly. He moved back to Chicago though. You know my story already. Fragmented disc between C5 and C6. Fusion. I should have done it years ago. I'm like a freakin' Ninja now, compared to how I was. A Daniel Boone, ass kickin', disco moving, titanium injected, super ninja.

You know I don't mean to boast, but I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. I could do something with that... hump.

(dislcaimer: I am not really a surgeon. I just love that Young Frankenstein line)

Latest posts

Top Bottom