Mom Upset Over Son's Assignment to Recite Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillShot

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Melissa Taggart says she was delighted that her son was learning a foreign language in the eighth grade -- until she learned he was expected to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish.

And that he'd receive a zero if he didn't.

Taggart, of Edmond, Okla., said the Pledge should be recited in English -- and English only.

“English is our language…and I just feel it’s wrong that he would have to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America in Spanish. It’s just wrong,” a frustrated Taggart told Fox 4 Oklahoma City.

Source - Fox News

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score

Ignorance on display. I swear to God, I believe that some folks here just revel in ther ignorance. They are arrogant about it. It's a Spanish class. They....are...learning...to...speak...Spanish. So, they are learning the Pledge of Allegiance. Would this woman be happier if they were learning Mexico Lindo?

What a big deal about nothing.

KillShot

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's the way I felt, JB. It's an assignment for a Spanish class. It's not as if the entire school is adopting Spanish as the language.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is just a prime example of stirring up anti-Hispanic sentiment. I mean damn, are we so rabidly anti-illegal alien that it now infringes upon the classroom and the learning of a foreign language?

Singing the National Anthem at an event in Spanish is one thing (although if, in a heavily Latino area, they did that AND sang it in English too, I would be OK with that), but this is school work.

No wonder the rest of the country thinks we are backwards hillbillies.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is FOX NEWS just going for laughs these days?

We need a question on the ballot in 2012 requiring
English only in Spanish class.

They're trying to compete with Comedy Central.

KillShot

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And, guess who will suffer the most as a result of this parent raising such an issue; the child. Unless the family relocates, this boy will be known as the one whose parent(s) raised hell over something petty and made the national news. Embarrassing, to say the least.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems we had to recite several things American in German class ...

I guess we need a state law that outlaws "translation". What trailer park do these people live in anyway?

Latest posts

Top Bottom