More AR-15 questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am thinking after I get the Timney 3lb trigger ordered I might as well go ahead and replace the factory S&W adjustable stock.

Who makes a good stock, I have seen Magpul mentioned. Are there any others to consider?

Also I see alot of the windowed mags and or aftermarket mags, any benefit over the stock ones? I have about 10 stock or mil-spec mags. One of my buddies was making fun of them since I have my AR built up for the most part. Once again I see Magpul on these as well.

Any thoughts on these as well?

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
magpul, vltor make good stocks, bravocompanyusa.com or aimsurplus had good deals on stocks. Personally i want a CTR or MOE

is there any benefit of Pmags over USGI?? david fortier did a a very good article in shotgun news where he torture tested several brands of AR mags including Pmags and lancer L5 mags and tango down ARC mags, he seemed to think the lancers came out on top but yet the GI mags held up suprisingly well. I'll have to look up that issue

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am thinking after I get the Timney 3lb trigger ordered I might as well go ahead and replace the factory S&W adjustable stock.

Who makes a good stock, I have seen Magpul mentioned. Are there any others to consider?

Also I see alot of the windowed mags and or aftermarket mags, any benefit over the stock ones? I have about 10 stock or mil-spec mags. One of my buddies was making fun of them since I have my AR built up for the most part. Once again I see Magpul on these as well.

Fact is - Magpul makes the best plastic stuff for the money (that's largely why they're so popular - price).

PMags are unbeatable for the money. Your metal mags are probably ok if they are of decent manufacturing quality (you can upgrade them with anti-tilt followers, springs, etc... but I wouldn't if you don't have any problems with them).

VLTOR makes several good stocks, as does LMT and Magpul. If you want light and rattle-free, get a Magpul CTR. They have a friction lock that prevents the standard "M4 rattle" and they're light as hell (and have a QD adapter built-in the back if you get a sling with QDs).

I have a VLTOR EMOD and if you like storage - its pretty hard to beat.

Troy makes a couple of stocks - one is the M7 or "Battle-Axe" and it looks almost alien its so smooth:

[Broken External Image]

Figure out what you want - if you want a standard M4 collapsable style, then the above are good choices. If you want more precision long-range, then there are several other options out there.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

TJay... I have several different setups in the safe and I'm just on the other side of town from you. Give me a call and come over so you can get a look at things first hand. Hopefully seeing things in person can make wading through some of this stuff a little easier. lol...

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I know right, I mean there are only like 1,000,000 different combo's for the AR at any one given time...lol

I may take you up on that, of course the last time I handled one of your guns I went right out and got a quote on a trigger job for my S&W MP40c...lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom