More Hunting/Fishing Access to Federal Lands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a request for comment from the ODW about increased hunting activities on the Wichita Mtn Refuge. I suspect it came from the link you provided.
Overall I think it's a good deal although the nearly 100% success ratio for bull elk on the Wichita Refuge will probably go south with the duck hunters blasting the ponds on the refuge during the elk hunt.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My greatest concern was if the Salt Plain was opened up like all other State land for public deer hunting, and my son made the pointed out that duck and quail hunters would probably be a bigger deal.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully it will help lower the light geese population by opening up some areas to hunting. It very well may help the common man to be able to hunt waterfowl again. Some crop areas with large geese population were being leased up by outfitters and clubs. I don't hate geese that much to pay for a lease to hunt geese, which may or not use the field.

I believe it has opportunity to be a great thing.

Next they need to allow killing of the Cormorants. They eat a ton of fish and white wash anything they roost on.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Specific to Oklahoma
Deep Fork National Wildlife Refuge: Open geese, coot and merganser hunting for the first
time on 7,034 acres already open to other hunting. Expand season date ranges for existing big
game hunting to further align with state regulations.

Little River National Wildlife Refuge: Open coyote hunting for the first time on 13,938
acres already open to other hunting. Expand existing turkey hunting to include youth turkey
hunting opportunities.

Ozark Plateau National Wildlife Refuge: Open to upland game (squirrel and rabbit) and big
game (white-tailed deer and feral hog) hunting on 802 acres for the first time.

Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge: Open coot, white-winged dove, beaver, Eurasiancollared and rock dove, wild turkey and feral hog hunting on 9,555 acres for the first time.
Expand existing migratory game bird, upland game and big game hunting to new acres.

Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge: Open wild turkey and feral hog hunting for the first
time on 16,023 acres already open to other hunting.

Tishomingo National Wildlife Refuge: Open to migratory game bird (duck, geese and
coot), wild turkey and feral hog hunting for the first time on 6,301 acres already open to
other hunting and new acres. Expand existing white- tailed deer hunting to new acres.

Tishomingo National Fish Hatchery: Formally open to sport fishing for the first time.

Washita National Wildlife Refuge: Open mourning and white- winged hunting for the
first time on 2,637 new acres and acres already open to hunting, and expand Eurasiancollared dove hunting on those same acres.

Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge: Open to migratory game bird (duck, geese,
coot and merganser), upland game (coyote), wild turkey and feral hog hunting for the first
time on 53,301 acres already open to other hunting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom