More supply chain news - thanks to the dims.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here surprised to see that dimocrats are trying to fix the issues that they bring forth?

Reports: Calif. Crackdown On Truckers Hurts Supply Chains

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 7:31 AM PT – Tuesday, October 19, 2021

New reports revealed a supply glut in the Port of Los Angeles is a direct result of regulatory crackdown on the trucking industry by California’s ruling Democrats.

According to Forbes, a shortage of truckers and trucks in California is contributing to supply chain disruptions. Truckers say a new California law mandates that all trucks must be made in 2011 or newer, eroding competitiveness of independent truckers.

California also plans to retire all diesel trucks by 2035, which makes trucking companies reluctant to invest in their fleets. Another law, AB5, effectively outlaws truck owners operators to preserve union monopoly on land deliveries.

“I started this business with one truck as an owner-operator,” said Greg Dubuque, President of the California Trucking Association. “I learned the industry and grew it from there. What we’re trying to state is that we actually incubate our own competition in this industry and that comes through success.”

Truckers say excessive regulation and monopolization of the trucking business by California Democrats is driving-up delivery costs and it pushes truckers out of the Golden State.

“I’ve got four really, really good younger guys that there goal is to one day own their own truck, and become an owner-operator and grow from there,” Dubuque continued. “If this goes in place, what direction are they gonna go?”

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should move the ports and let California figure out how to get their goods to their state without diesel trucks.

Can you fathom how heavy an electric truck would have to be to have enough battery power to pull those loads a reasonable distance without having to stop for HOURS AND HOURS to recharge every 200 miles?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should move the ports and let California figure out how to get their goods to their state without diesel trucks.

Can you fathom how heavy an electric truck would have to be to have enough battery power to pull those loads a reasonable distance without having to stop for HOURS AND HOURS to recharge every 200 miles?
That's what I was thinking, the first 30' of trailer will be for the batteries to power the semi.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here surprised to see that dimocrats are trying to fix the issues that they bring forth?

Reports: Calif. Crackdown On Truckers Hurts Supply Chains

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 7:31 AM PT – Tuesday, October 19, 2021

New reports revealed a supply glut in the Port of Los Angeles is a direct result of regulatory crackdown on the trucking industry by California’s ruling Democrats.

According to Forbes, a shortage of truckers and trucks in California is contributing to supply chain disruptions. Truckers say a new California law mandates that all trucks must be made in 2011 or newer, eroding competitiveness of independent truckers.

California also plans to retire all diesel trucks by 2035, which makes trucking companies reluctant to invest in their fleets. Another law, AB5, effectively outlaws truck owners operators to preserve union monopoly on land deliveries.

“I started this business with one truck as an owner-operator,” said Greg Dubuque, President of the California Trucking Association. “I learned the industry and grew it from there. What we’re trying to state is that we actually incubate our own competition in this industry and that comes through success.”

Truckers say excessive regulation and monopolization of the trucking business by California Democrats is driving-up delivery costs and it pushes truckers out of the Golden State.

“I’ve got four really, really good younger guys that there goal is to one day own their own truck, and become an owner-operator and grow from there,” Dubuque continued. “If this goes in place, what direction are they gonna go?”

So I just got back from a Transportation conference earlier this month.......it's gonna get worse if the vax mandates follow through.

Fun fact, they are trying to address a shortage of trucking parking and one of the solutions given was to build large truck parking stop/areas so to speak. Well as part of the infrastructure bill (the 1.5 Trillion one) they did a study/design in Peoria Illinois. The treenuthuggers got wind and wanted them to install 20 ELV Truck hookups within the stop/parking area. The engineers said no, and the treenuthuggers threw a hissy fit and demanded why. Basically the engineers figured that 20 ELV hookups would require more electricity than it takes to power the entire city of Peoria, Illinois, and that the current infrastructure and power generation couldn't come close to handling it. Given Californias rolling brown outs already, I say scuttle the ship..... send it!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys might be surprised to see how capable electric motors and battery tech have become the past decade. The Tesla semi supposedly can charge up to 80% of its range within 30 minutes using the right charger, and everything is self contained within the tractor. It’s also faster than a traditional semi, with comparable load capacity. They’re proposing a 300 mile range model and a 500 mile model.

BUT. Tesla is great at imagination and innovation, and not so great with execution. The US produces roughly 11 billion kWh of power every day. There’s also roughly 15.5 million trucks on the road in the US. If we narrow that down to just tractor trailers, we’re talking about roughly 2 million trucks. Assuming we replace every one of those 2 million with a Tesla semi that is rumored to carry a 1MWh battery (mega, take note), we’re talking about needing to come up with an extra 2 billion kilowatt hours EVERY DAY. we’re already pushing the limits on our old, outdated infrastructure, power generation systems, and storage. Bumping up that load by almost 20% just isn’t going to end well.

and we’re not even considering the other 13.5 million box trucks and local delivery trucks that get everything from the main hubs to the stores. Or the electric motor and battery production. Or disposal of old electric batteries and motors. Or disposal of these trucks they’re trying to phase out. Or the fact that we don’t have the technology to refurbish said motors and batteries to last the 500k+ miles like we can with current mechanical dinosaur burners. I also don’t know if you guys are up in the quality people are getting when buying Tesla’s, but between manufacturing issues, logistics failures, and HORRENDOUS quality control, they can barely make an acceptable passenger car. With big trucks you don’t need soft touch interior parts or a 20” tablet built into your dash that can make your passenger sound like they’re farting, you need something that is durable, reliable, long lasting, and repairable. Our logistics infrastructure won’t survive if it has to start buying new vehicles every 3 years like the majority of Americans buy passenger cars.

People can hoot and holler about electric this and that, and no diesel this and that, but at the end of the day, it’s literally impossible to accomplish right now. Technology, infrastructure, and our culture will make it happen. I doubt I will even see it in my lifetime, and I likely have another 40-60 years left on this rock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom